X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual View (:0.0 and :0.1 displays)

Hallo!

I have a ThinkPad A31p notebook.
    I want to have two displays running independently from each other. One on :0.0 and one on :0.1 - so I can run two independent desktops, the mouse beeing "jailed" in each.

To achieve this, I had two device, two screen and two monitor sections.

Since an update some time ago, my configuration does not work any more.
    It seems this is because of xrandr support.

Any hint how to get the old behaviour back?

Saluti!

Ludwig

[QUOTE=laludelala;41298]
    Any hint how to get the old behaviour back?
    /QUOTE]

It should work again with xf86-video-ati version 6.8.0 or newer. ^.9.0 is probably a better bet as some additional zaphod bugs were fixed since 6.8.0.

Comment

Hallo!

So I should move from Xorg to XFree86?

Saluti!

Ludwig

Comment

Originally posted by laludelala View Post
        So I should move from Xorg to XFree86?
        No. xf86-video-ati is part of xorg. The ati driver shipped with xfree86 is ancient.

Comment

Hallo!

This is what it tells me in the Xorg.0.log
          ---
          (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
          (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
          (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
          compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 4.3.0
          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
          ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0

But this is the package I have installed
          ---
          ludwig@client16:~$ dpkg -l xserver-xorg-video-radeon
          Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
          | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
          |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
          ||/ Name Version Description
          +++-================================================== ==========-================================================== ==========-================================================== ================================================== ====================================
          ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.9.0-1+lenny1 X.Org X server -- ATI Radeon display driver
          ludwig@client16:~$

Saluti!

Ludwig

Comment

xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.9.0-1+lenny1 X.Org X server -- ATI Radeon display driver
            you should be fine. configure zaphod multi-head the same way you used to (two device/screen sections, etc.)

Comment

Hallo!

Actually, I have the Zaphod-configuration running, but I only get the same image on both heads.

Actually, since the monitor on the 2nd head has a lower resolution than the primary one, it shows only one part of the desktop the primary one displays completely.

I have two device-, two monitor- and two screen-sections. And the server layout has one "Screen 0" and one "Screen 1" entry.

Saluti!

Ludwig

Comment

Actually, I have the Zaphod-configuration running, but I only get the same image on both heads.

Actually, since the monitor on the 2nd head has a lower resolution than the primary one, it shows only one part of the desktop the primary one displays completely.

I have two device-, two monitor- and two screen-sections. And the server layout has one "Screen 0" and one "Screen 1" entry.
                can you pastebin your config and log?

Comment

Hallo!

My xorg.conf (actually, the 2nd head is disabled):

And the logfile when starting with 2nd head enabled:

As You can see in the pastebin, it seems like if the LVDS panel was detected as DVI-0.

Anyway, the result is in having :0.0 screen only, LVDS turned off and the VGA-0 activated.

Saluti!

Ludwig

Comment

As You can see in the pastebin, it seems like if the LVDS panel was detected as DVI-0.
                    In your case, since you system has LVDS, DVI (probably on a docking station), and VGA, it's ending up with DVI and VGA for each zaphod head. You'll have to force the connector table to get this to work. If you want to use LVDS and VGA, add this option to each device section:

Option "ConnectorTable" "0,0,0,7,96,1,0,1"

Comment

Working...
                    X