Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo G505s (A10-5750M + HD8570M) under Kubuntu 15.04 (oibaf-ppa + drm-next kernel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo G505s (A10-5750M + HD8570M) under Kubuntu 15.04 (oibaf-ppa + drm-next kernel)

Hi! Needed a new laptop quickly and as I was with a very tight budget I ended up with this (280?) from amazon.de. I thought it would be cool to share some quick thoughts about how does this frankly a little strange configuration work under Mesa and ask a few questions.

Strange for one the iGPU HD8650g seems to be the faster GPU and that's while the system has just 4GB (DDR3 1600Mhz) of ram for now (I'm going to upgrade it to at least 2x4GB 1866mhz later). The dGPU HD8570M does have 2GB of its own memory but its crippled by a 64-bit wide bus (though in a single channel configuration so is HD8650g).

First of all I tried with Catalyst drivers because I've been under the impression that they work pretty well these day on the newer hardware. Well it wasn't so. Team Fortress 2 showed mouse lag (heavy throttling maybe..?) especially with dGPU and performance was pretty much unplayable with (1366x768, all High,4xAA,4xAF) after awhile heavy artifacting began so I gave up and removed Catalyst. Tried again with up-to-date Mesa goodness and what a relief it was! With HD8650g not only it was great to see that the game runs well with very playable frame rate but without any glitching, artifacting and so on. The HD8570M (DRI_PRIME=1) was better too! Not as quite as fast as the other but close and glitch free also.

I'm going to do proper benchmarking later on. Have many more games to install and try just for the hell of it. Just wanted to share this quickly. I have to ask though that do you think the HD8570M (GCN, 320sp) is eventually with a more mature drivers going to be faster than the HD8650g(VLIW4, 368sp) thanks to it's newer architechture/voodoo?

Quick update: XRender is definitely the recommended kwin backend if you're playing around with DRI_PRIME under KDE Plasma Workspace 5.3. Removes flickering and other little rendering errors which shows up after couple of switches.

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Defaults 1366x768 High Quality)

HD8650g

Avg FPS: 7.5
    Score: 189
    Min FPS: 3.8
    Max FPS: 15.5

H8570M

Avg FPS: 8.5
    Score: 213
    Min FPS: 4.4
    Max FPS: 14.8

Comment

The complicating thing is that the two GPUs were probably picked to have roughly the same performance in order to work well as a Crossfire pair, rather than being picked to provide low power vs high performance options.

It's probably fair to say that over time the 8570 will end up being faster because it (usually at least) has a higher clock and definitely has a better cache hierarchy, but I don't think you are going to see a huge difference between them.
      Test signature

Comment

I kind of thought there was some marketing nonsense going on regarding crossfire. I mean I didin't think those cards could work together at all.

Comment

Upgraded RAM with another 4GB stick. Did some quick Uniengine Valley 1.0 tests with both Kubuntu and windows 8.1 and Mesa results are result are very impressive with 8650g.

Kubuntu with Mesa-git(Oibaf-ppa 29.6...)
          Uniengine Valley: 1366x768 Defaults (HQ,OGL)

FPS: 13.8
          Score: 579
          Min FPS: 6.8
          Max FPS: 20.1

8.1 with Catalyst 15.6 Beta
          Uniengine Valley: 1366x768 Defaults (HQ,DX11)

FPS: 15.1
          Score: 632
          Min FPS: 8.6
          Max FPS: 24.6

Very close!

Last edited by blindfrog; 30 June 2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X