Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R600 DRM In The Works

Phoronix: Radeon R600 DRM In The Works

AMD has yet to publicly release the R600 (Radeon HD 2000 / Radeon HD 3000) documentation, but the xf86-video-radeonhd developers at Novell have had this documentation under NDA. This documentation, however, is expected to be cleared for release soon. Novell's Matthias Hopf has mentioned that this register documentation is in excess of 650 pages.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great Hopefully, R500+R600+R700 support is done before R800 arrives.

Comment

Hurray! I've been desperately waiting for this ever since radeonhd was first announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Hurray! I've been desperately waiting for this ever since radeonhd was first announced.
        me too!
        I'm really disappointed with the latest fglrx drivers :/

Comment

Thanks for the DRM clarification, lol.

Comment

keep in mind it will come in the future since every piece of code is just experimental and everything is just e little step.

real (usable) drm support will appear upstream just in a far future.

Comment

the release of the "TCore" source-code is imminent
              ...it was 'imminent' at least two months ago. that means we probably have to wait a couple more months ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                ...it was 'imminent' at least two months ago. that means we probably have to wait a couple more months ;-)
                This time AMD seems pretty confident that it's days away... possibly this week.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  This time AMD seems pretty confident that it's days away... possibly this week.
                  Together with HD4850 and HD4870 coming soon, which seem to be interesting pieces of hardware, I call this really good news.

Wait a minute, the new cards are based on RV770, when will documentation for that be cleaned up?

Comment

If we were to release a new chip, which I can neither confirm nor deny, I would expect that documentation would come in two stages; an "addendum" package fairly quickly with just enough info to light up the display and support unaccelerated operation, followed later by a more complete package.

Once we get 6xx 3d info out (including tcore) we will be pretty much "caught up" and life should get a lot eastier. From the start of the open source initiative until now we have had to put out information much more quickly than we were introducing chips, which was hard on everyone involved. Going forward, we only have to keep pace with new GPU introduction, which will give us time to start backfilling information for older chips and dealing with any gaps in the current info.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 05 June 2008, 08:57 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X