Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Once the Mesa is merged to master, maybe I'll write a guide.
    Good timing. Dave and Alex were talking about merging tonight. Wonder if it has a chance of catching the Mesa release if Brian re-spins after RC1 ?

    The thing is, unless I've missed something (I have been following the IRC logs) it isn't going to work for R5xx AGP cards yet.If this is still the case maybe it would be worth mentioning it somewhere to save R5xx AGP users the hassle/time of building it all from git etc.
    Legume, I think the DRM uses roughly the same AGP code for 5xx and for the 3xx/4xx, so there is a chance it might just work on AGP. Don't remember seeing anyone testing on AGP yet though...

    Someone has to be first through the door

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Legume, I think the DRM uses roughly the same AGP code for 5xx and for the 3xx/4xx, so there is a chance it might just work on AGP. Don't remember seeing anyone testing on AGP yet though...

      Someone has to be first through the door
      I tried a while back and posted the results to the mailing list.

      Alex said he needed to get some info on the pcie -> agp chip for my rv530.

      Comment


      • #18
        I think this is a good development, however it still doesn't show what all i am concerned about, yet... the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo running is key, however where are the screenshots of the actual game running?

        Comment


        • #19
          At midnight an article is going out about all the games that work and don't work with this driver.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            compiz works on my X1300. i am very, very happy.

            Comment


            • #21
              Dave just merged the r500-support branch into mesa git master, so it should be much easier to get up and running now.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Dave just merged the r500-support branch into mesa git master, so it should be much easier to get up and running now.
                it fails to compile:

                Code:
                /src/egl/main -I../../../../../src/egl/drivers/dri -I/usr/include/drm    -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fno-ivopts -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -std=c99 -ffast-math -fno-strict-aliasing  -fPIC   -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPTHREADS -DHAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN -DUSE_XCB -DUSE_EXTERNAL_DXTN_LIB=1 -DIN_DRI_DRIVER -DGLX_INDIRECT_RENDERING -DHAVE_ALIAS -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING -DRADEON_COMMON=0 radeon_state.c -o radeon_state.o
                radeon_screen.c: In function ‘radeonCreateScreen’:
                radeon_screen.c:848: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_NUM_GB_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                radeon_screen.c:848: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
                radeon_screen.c:848: error: for each function it appears in.)
                gmake[5]: *** [radeon_screen.o] Error 1
                gmake[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
                EDIT: sorry!!! :] I reemerged libdrm and x11-drm and it works!!!
                Last edited by vytautas; 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  agd5f, is that the change that was just being discussed on IRC re: fixing the way # of pipes was being determined ?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    We will be delivering benchmarks comparing the Radeon X1000 performance using the open-source 3D driver to the fglrx driver in the coming days with different graphics cards and we will compare its performance to the earlier R400 parts. If you have any other requests, let us know in the Phoronix Forums.
                    Can you check Blender out, to see if there are any issues/artifacts? I have never personally used ATi myself*, but if these developments continue (it appears so), my next GPU will very likely be from them. It is just that many Blender users complain about poor OpenGL performance with ATi, and hopefully they are gone with these free drivers!

                    Love this site, btw

                    *I have worked professionally with ATi FireGL cards on Linux, used as GPU rendernodes. It was not a pleasant experience...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      agd5f, is that the change that was just being discussed on IRC re: fixing the way # of pipes was being determined ?
                      Yes. We now setup and determine number of pipes in the drm and then use that in mesa and the ddx if available.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Exciting times we live in. I can't wait to buy my R700 or rv770. Open source 3d drivers are a big driver in what manufacturer I plan on choosing next.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by goffrie View Post
                          For some reason, 3D only works once - all later attempts say "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual". I'm on an X1900GT (R580). Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

                          You need to have AIGLX enabled (and loaded all fine) to get 3D running.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I need help getting 3d working with my M54 card.
                            I run gentoo amd64.
                            I've installed mesa, libdrm, x11-drm from today's git.

                            Xorg.0.log: http://rafb.net/p/qgLkAr95.html
                            dmesg | grep drm: http://rafb.net/p/klODwr39.html
                            glxinfo: http://rafb.net/p/GLAnp732.html
                            xorg.conf: http://rafb.net/p/1proXt36.html

                            This happens with radeonHD and ati.. glxinfo always shows no 3d.
                            Unfortunately "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo" shows exactly the same as glxinfo (I asked on the mesa3d-users mailing list, but no answer).

                            Thanks

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by slacker View Post
                              I need help getting 3d working with my M54 card.
                              I run gentoo amd64.
                              I've installed mesa, libdrm, x11-drm from today's git.

                              Xorg.0.log: http://rafb.net/p/qgLkAr95.html
                              dmesg | grep drm: http://rafb.net/p/klODwr39.html
                              glxinfo: http://rafb.net/p/GLAnp732.html
                              xorg.conf: http://rafb.net/p/1proXt36.html

                              This happens with radeonHD and ati.. glxinfo always shows no 3d.
                              Unfortunately "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo" shows exactly the same as glxinfo (I asked on the mesa3d-users mailing list, but no answer).

                              Thanks
                              Looks like you installed software mesa or at least that's what's getting picked up by the apps.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                                Looks like you installed software mesa or at least that's what's getting picked up by the apps.
                                how can I solve this?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X