Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing latest Open Source ATI drivers under Ubuntu 8.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ovoskeuiks View Post
    I've successfully install the drivers, drm modules and libdrm/mesa packages which has enabled 3D Acceleration using the Driver "ati" and AccelMethod "EXA" on my x1250
    However this appears to have broken an application I'm using because of some incompatibility between libgl and libstdc++. I've google for all sorts of options and found this bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sa/+bug/259219

    It mentions compiling without --enable-glx-tls. are the sources available for the packages provided in xorg-edgers and how would I go about recompiling/repacking the libgl-mesa-dri package
    IIRC --enable-glx-tls was needed for some reason but I am not sure. Yes, the sources are in the PPA of course. There's a mini-HOWTO on the XorgOnTheEdge page for how to recompile packages yourself.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tormod View Post
      IIRC --enable-glx-tls was needed for some reason but I am not sure. Yes, the sources are in the PPA of course. There's a mini-HOWTO on the XorgOnTheEdge page for how to recompile packages yourself.
      Thanks I've successfully compiled the driver a few times and no luck with getting my software working, could someone point me in a direction where I could offer useful feedback on this? It doesn't appear to be an issue with the software (libavg) as it works fine on nvidia and intel based boards so I'm assuming it's to do with the ati dri implementation

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ovoskeuiks View Post
        Thanks I've successfully compiled the driver a few times and no luck with getting my software working, could someone point me in a direction where I could offer useful feedback on this? It doesn't appear to be an issue with the software (libavg) as it works fine on nvidia and intel based boards so I'm assuming it's to do with the ati dri implementation
        If you can confirm this bug in Ubuntu (Intrepid) it should be dealt with. You may also ask on #ubuntu-ch (I guess tjaalton will know).

        Comment


        • hi oibaf

          i am a complete newbie, my first ubuntu install,my first problem ,my first use of the terminal and a complete success thanks to the clarity of your post.

          many thanks

          Comment


          • tormod, can you update your -ati package to current git version (possibly on both hardy/intrepid)? I'd like to test the latest upstream fixes for dithering, that should better fix LP bug #264535.

            Also, this appears to be no more needed on intrepid:
            Code:
              * Drop depends on xserver-xorg-video-r128 and xserver-xorg-video-
                mach64 (and their -dbg packages) since they don't exist in Ubuntu
                yet
            Thanks

            Comment


            • Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              tormod, can you update your -ati package to current git version
              Will do Don't forget you can easily roll your own packages with the auto-xorg-git script.
              Also, this appears to be no more needed on intrepid:
              I often just make one single source package which is then copied over and built in the xorg-edgers PPA and my own PPA, hardy and intrepid.

              Comment


              • Thanks for the update .

                Unfortunately this update does not fix the problem: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17897

                Comment


                • OK, the fdo bug #17897 - Dithering problem on MacBook Pro is properly fixed.

                  Can you update again your packages to latest commit 435cf7da68186f2601c4b888296117d4f652c625 please .

                  I'd like that other Ubuntu users can try the updated git version and I eventually request to update the intrepid version to this snapshot, if we are still in time.

                  Thanks again for all your work improving X experience for Ubuntu users.

                  Comment


                  • libdrm2 source extracting error

                    I am interested in enabling 3D feature on my laptop, which is T42 (RV350 Ati mobility 9600). In step 2.a, I failed to extract libdrm2 source files with patches. Can anybody help me how I can resolve this problem?

                    ---------------
                    xxx$ apt-get source libdrm2
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree
                    Reading state information... Done
                    Need to get 1458kB of source archives.
                    Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main libdrm 2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d-0ubuntu0tormod1 (tar) [1452kB]
                    Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main libdrm 2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d-0ubuntu0tormod1 (diff) [5033B]
                    Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main libdrm 2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d-0ubuntu0tormod1 (dsc) [1113B]
                    Fetched 1458kB in 1s (1092kB/s)
                    gpg: Signature made Tue 14 Oct 2008 01:50:39 PM CDT using DSA key ID BAF41D0C
                    gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
                    dpkg-source: extracting libdrm in libdrm-2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d
                    dpkg-source: unpacking libdrm_2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d.orig.tar.gz
                    dpkg-source: applying ./libdrm_2.4.0~git20081014.d9c2f65d-0ubuntu0tormod1.diff.gz

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bart0094 View Post
                      I am interested in enabling 3D feature on my laptop, which is T42 (RV350 Ati mobility 9600).
                      3D is enabled by default for these cards, since many years ago. If it doesn't work in a standard Ubuntu installation, please file a bug.
                      In step 2.a, I failed to extract libdrm2 source files with patches. Can anybody help me how I can resolve this problem?
                      That looks fine. What's the problem?

                      Comment


                      • Recently, I've installed Kubuntu 8.10, which comes with the latest radeon enabled by default. Have to say that it works quite good in 2D and Video playback.

                        Desktop effects also work quite smoothly, until there is a need to play Video via xv, or to run a 3D-app, but that's another story.

                        There are some glitches in firefox 3, however.. But I'm not sure if this is connected to "radeon" or to "gtk-qt-engine" (at least, I didn't have these anomalies, when used Catalyst 8.9 in Hardy, and ClearLooks GTK theme).

                        Can somebody point me where to look about these glitches?

                        In particular, there is broken rendering of "Tabs", and also some "controls" inside a page (such as [hr], [radiobuttons], [checkboxes]).

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mityukov View Post
                          Recently, I've installed Kubuntu 8.10, which
                          There are some glitches in firefox 3, however.. But I'm not sure if this is connected to "radeon" or to "gtk-qt-engine" (at least, I didn't have these anomalies, when used Catalyst 8.9 in Hardy, and ClearLooks GTK theme).
                          That is gtk-qt-engines fault... At least I think it is Simple solution I'm using right now is this theme :
                          https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefox/addon/7574
                          It has some other problems like for example not using oxygen style for drop down menus but no glitches with normal webbrowsing.

                          Anyway there is a gossip that FF 3.1 will have a Qt native support so problems like that may be solved soon

                          BTW do you get some small tearing with 3d effects ?
                          Last edited by val-gaav; 11-05-2008, 05:52 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                            That is gtk-qt-engines fault... At least I think it is Simple solution I'm using right now is this theme :
                            https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefox/addon/7574
                            It has some other problems like for example not using oxygen style for drop down menus but no glitches with normal webbrowsing.

                            Anyway there is a gossip that FF 3.1 will have a Qt native support so problems like that may be solved soon
                            I wish Qt4 support was there...

                            Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                            BTW do you get some small tearing with 3d effects ?
                            I'm not sure... Everything seems to look the same way with Desktop Effects ON and OFF. Where should I look exactly?

                            Comment


                            • I get tearing from time to time while for example draging windows (transparency on) or with alt+tab effects. tried XAA, EXA, and different kwin settings and it's always the same.

                              I'm using rs690 radeon x1200 which support is quite recent so that may be the problem.

                              BTW videos work ok for me with xv and with composing on. Try setting up EXA in xorg.conf instead of default XAA.

                              Comment


                              • Tormod, current packages for Hardy miss 'XInput.h'. That header is in Hardy original 'x11proto-input-dev' package, later that header was moved to 'libxi-dev' as i see, but that package was not also updated for Hardy.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X