No announcement yet.

Installing latest Open Source ATI drivers under Ubuntu 8.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the update... to my kubuntu hardy.
    One thing i noticed is glxgears results: 365FPS.
    It dropped to half what it was. Is everything as it should be or am i missing something???
    I'm running on Ati 2400 w/ 256mb.
    Last edited by mal13; 05-26-2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Compiz and upgrades?

Thanks very much for these easy to follow instructions.

I will report for the search engines that my Thinkpad T60p with
      the FireGL 5250 graphic worked by following the instructions. I used
      the "ati" driver and 3D works (glxgears is about 2300FPS).
      In Gutsy I was seeing about 4000FPS with the ATI fglrx driver but
      could not get fglrx to install with Hardy.

Two questions about the above:

1) I see today that my update manager wants to upgrade my kernel.
      What steps above do I need to re-do if my kernel is upgraded?

2) Compiz is not working. Is it possible to get compiz working with
      this "ati" driver? (In Gutsy and with fglrx I had xserver-xgl installed).

Oh, BTW -- why is it important to disable the sources above after using them? Will it bring in other packages that are not desirable?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by mal13 View Post
        I did the update... to my kubuntu hardy.
        One thing i noticed is glxgears results: 365FPS.
        It dropped to half what it was. Is everything as it should be or am i missing something???
        I'm running on Ati 2400 w/ 256mb.
        3D supports appears to be supported for <R600 cards. Your is a RV610/RV630?

I added this on first post.

Edit: try
        Code:
        $ glxinfo | grep 'direct rendering'
        Warning, RV530 detected, 3D HAHAHAHAHA!!.
        direct rendering: Yes
        if you get No you are not using accelerated 3D.

Try using other combinations of Driver (ati or radeonhd) and Option "AccelMethod" (ShadowFB (only for radeonhd), XAA or EXA) in your xorg.conf to see if you get a faster X.
        Last edited by oibaf; 05-27-2008, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freetime View Post
          Thanks very much for these easy to follow instructions.

I will report for the search engines that my Thinkpad T60p with
          the FireGL 5250 graphic worked by following the instructions. I used
          the "ati" driver and 3D works (glxgears is about 2300FPS).
          In Gutsy I was seeing about 4000FPS with the ATI fglrx driver but
          could not get fglrx to install with Hardy.

Two questions about the above:

1) I see today that my update manager wants to upgrade my kernel.
          What steps above do I need to re-do if my kernel is upgraded?
          You should only reinstall the DRM module. (Now added in first post)

2) Compiz is not working. Is it possible to get compiz working with
          this "ati" driver? (In Gutsy and with fglrx I had xserver-xgl installed).
          See comment 13 and the following two.
          Oh, BTW -- why is it important to disable the sources above after using them? Will it bring in other packages that are not desirable?

Thanks,
          These two repositories include a lot of other packages: see https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive and
          https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive . I would not keep the repositories enabled unless you really need all other packages (note that also an updated experimental xserver is included).
          Last edited by oibaf; 05-27-2008, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Knowtiest how experimental some packages were. I left repos open...
            Result: adept and system logs wouldn't open anymore. Best part was to come: mouse and keyboard stopped working. I couldn't login. After dozen reboots to xp (to search info) finally got my system fixed.
            xserver-xorg was problem.
            Now i'm back on mesa. Forawhile.... i'll get back to radeon. Later.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive . I would not keep the repositories enabled unless you really need all other packages (note that also an updated experimental xserver is included).
              I'm seeing:

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
              (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
              Which I've been told means I need to upgrade my xserver. I re-enabled
              the xorg-edgers source and there is a new xserver-xorg-core, but it looks like it's going to uninstall more than I want:

$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              The following extra packages will be installed:
              libpciaccess0
              The following packages will be REMOVED:
              ubuntu-desktop xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-all
              xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd
              xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
              xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-wacom
              xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amd xserver-xorg-video-apm
              xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati
              xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
              xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy
              xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-geode
              xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128
              xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-i810
              xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-intel
              xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
              xserver-xorg-video-newport xserver-xorg-video-nsc
              xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
              xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-xorg-video-rendition
              xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
              xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
              xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
              xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-tga
              xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng
              xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vga
              xserver-xorg-video-via xserver-xorg-video-vmware
              xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
              I don't mind removing all the drivers I don't need, but I suspect I need mouse, ubuntu-desktop and such to stay. So, that doesn't seem like the route to go for a new xserver.

Any suggestions how to resolve the AIGLX issue?

Again, I'm just trying to get compiz working like I had before.
              I might be asking for too much at this point.

When I do try and start compiz I get:

There is no available graphics driver for your system which
              supports the composite extension.
              Checking for Xgl: not present.
              Found laptop using ati driver.
              aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
              Which I assume is because of the AIGLX failure.

Comment

mal13, freetime: the xserver packages from "PPA for xorg crack pushers" appear to be too experimental to use now. This is why this is only suggested with a big "WARNING" in the guide and no detailed procedure. We'll better wait until the newer xserver packages land in intrepid and get backported in the "PPA for xorg crack pushers".

If you follow exactly the suggested procedure you should not have any problem.
                Last edited by oibaf; 05-28-2008, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Hi radeon-fans,
                  I finally bit the bullet and registered to YetAnotherForum, since I discovered your thread and was itching to give some explanations and corrections.

Thanks for a nice step-by-step how-to, but I really miss what should be number one: Read the web pages that are linked to before starting running the commands. I update those web sites regularly and things in this thread might get obsolete and wrong. This is the danger of providing too detailed steps, people just follow them without understanding the full picture.

In general, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgOnTheEdge is the entry point for this stuff.

About the repositories:
                  The ~tormodvolden repo contains driver updates to be used together with normal Ubuntu releases. I also have other packages in the repo, but nothing that hurts.

The ~xorg-edgers repo (please see https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers) is for up-to-date packages of Xorg drivers, servers, libraries. You might keep that repo in your settings, but you will live on the edge for good and bad.

So far I have uploaded the xserver-xorg-core 1.5 RC which is less experimental than the server git master head, and much less experimental than the mesa I uploaded. Maybe I'll update the server later, but for now 1.5 will do.

The newest mesa needs server 1.5 to work fully. They go hand in hand, and in fact the old 1.4 server can not be built with the new mesa. Also, the new 1.5 server needs input and video drivers built for it, so the old installed drivers or the one in the ~tormodvolden repository will probably not work (well). In fact, the package system will ask to remove the old drivers when you install the new server. I have built -mouse and -kbd input drivers so far, in addition to the most common video drivers.

The recommanded way of using the repository is from a live CD. This ensures a stable, reproducible platform, and I have a script to do all the downloads and installation with a single command. I'll post the instructions in a separate thread, since this can be interesting for people using other distributions as well.

If everything works fine, you might go on and install the packages in your normal Ubuntu 8.04 installation. You just have to rerun the kernel module installer after every kernel upgrade.

Hope this can be of help to you and that your testing can be of help to the Xorg developers!
                  Cheers,
                  Tormod
                  Last edited by tormod; 05-29-2008, 05:23 AM. Reason: link to live CD thread

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                    Hi radeon-fans,
                    Hi, thanks for your packages

Just to let you know that mesa packages appears to be working very well here. The only problem is that AIGLX won't work with 8.04 default xserver, but this is not a problem for (at least) r500 users since AILGX never worked even before.

The xserver packages, instead, seem to have some bigger problem: see e.g. comment #21 of this thread.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      The xserver packages, instead, seem to have some bigger problem: see e.g. comment #21 of this thread.
                      It's not really a problem. You just have to install the new -kbd and -mouse drivers from the repo. See how the live CD script does it. The drivers that will be removed are mostly for other graphic cards. The only things you might miss are the -synaptic and -evdev drivers, but the -mouse driver is enough and works on my laptop touchpad. (ubuntu-desktop is not critical either, it's just a meta-package.)

Comment

3d works, compiz on new xserver freezes

Hi,

Just to let know.

I decided to experiment a bit this evening with my X1300 PCIE, so I installed all the stuff as described here and on https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive

The steps 1 t/m 4 of the xorg-edgers go well (3d works, nexuiz too), but the newer xserver causes my x server to freeze if I enable compiz.

I will revert to the normal x server and wait a bit. But great work, since it is far more stable then fglrx was (only a bit slower)

Keep up the great work!!

Comment

tormod,

I have both of your repositories in my sources and do the upgrades all the time. I'm on 64-bit. I still don't get the right mesa drm driver. Do your latest packages include the r500 stuff? Is this supposed to work on 64-bit?

I get some errors/warnings when I apg-get upgrade. For example, just now:

The following packages have been kept back:
                          f-spot xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-dev xserver-xorg-input-kbd
                          xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-ati-dbg
                          xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd-dbg
                          xserver-xorg-video-vesa
                          The following packages will be upgraded:
                          cpp evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server
                          evolution-data-server-common evolution-plugins g++ gcc gdb gij
                          libcamel1.2-11 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2
                          libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserver1.2-9 libedataserverui1.2-8
                          libegroupwise1.2-13 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libgcj-bc libgcj-common
                          libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
                          libglu1-mesa libmysqlclient15off mesa-utils mysql-common x11proto-core-dev
                          x11proto-input-dev x11proto-xext-dev

I don't know if it's holding back the regular ubuntu X packages or your newer ones.

Comment

Elenius:
                            I think you forgot step 2 on
                            https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive

You can read in the first post of this topic how to do that (together with the rest of the steps 1 till 4). For the further steps on the xorg edgers page you need a new xserver, as descibed there.

Do it only if you have some idea of what you are doing (or accept the consequences).

Mal13 (page 2):
                            Try to deinstall fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by allartk View Post
                              Elenius:
                              I think you forgot step 2 on
                              https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive

You can read in the first post of this topic how to do that (together with the rest of the steps 1 till 4). For the further steps on the xorg edgers page you need a new xserver, as descibed there.

Do it only if you have some idea of what you are doing (or accept the consequences).
                              No, I did run the drm install script. It's the user-level mesa code that's the problem. It seems to not be using the new r500 mesa code (or maybe the new code still doesn't know about my chip id).

Comment

do you have fglrx installed?

Comment

Working...
                                X