Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=ga-ma74gm-s2

Supports 10/100/1000 LAN, 740G.

No issues yet, other than it's "bleeding edge" Linux-wise.

Having to use the radeon driver and alsa in lieu of radeonhd and pulseaudio (as mentioned above). I fully expect the driver issues to improve on both video and audio shortly. I was looking at either the 740G or an NVIDIA 6100 for an integrated video solution... I think the former offers more promise in the future.

Reviews were pretty solid and I've had good success with Gigabyte before. Plus... it's "in stock". I also added an FSP (Fortron) 400W PSU.

My reason for going with this setup was for Linux x86_64 development, and in that regard, all works splendidly.

No clue on the 780, other than it was $20 more.

Oh, and the Realtek ALC888 sound chip... I set /etc/modprobe.conf to:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-card-0 index=0
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

I'm playing with that for the time being, although "auto" and "3stack-dig" both give stereo sound in my left and right speakers.

Comment

Considering its 690g graphics with sb700, support in linux should be good. With kernels older than 2.6.25 the sb700 might show up as unknown in lspci but it will still work. Use kernel at 2.6.25 or newer and everything should show up well.

The catalyst 8-5 driver works fairly well on a 690g a friend has. 8-6 and 8-7 goofed up video on mythtv, wine, and others as you've probably already read. Catalyst 8-8 was the first one for me that would autoinstall in kernel 2.6.26(.3) but it has same problems in mythtv, wine, etc (on my 780g). I haven't had time to try 8-8 on the 690g.

Using the radeonhd (or radeon) from the git, my screen was goofed up after exiting X (on 780g). I haven't had time to try this on 690g so I would be interested in your results.

What distribution and kernel are you using?

Edit: newegg seems to have zoom feature for images of your mboard link. Pretty good. Also, what is the orange coax port under the lpt? I would download owners manual but gigbayte site is too slow.
      Last edited by forum1793; 08-24-2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

My post on 8-17-2008 in this same thread has most of the info.

Fedora 9

kernel-2.6.26.1

I had the exact issue with radeonhd when exiting the session; I'd get a black screen. I also had lockups and stability issues. The radeon driver works OK for now.

The ATI 8.8 driver doesn't list 740G/Radeon2100 as supported for Linux, and I'm not holding my breath. Maybe we'll see some support in a couple of versions.

I'm a fan of the open source solutions, and I see radeonhd working fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
          I've never tried a foxconn or biostar so I suggest you try one or both of these and give us some feedback.
          I will never buy a foxconn component after: foxconn hates linux

I am leaning more towards a
          asus 780v atm...

Comment

Oh, and the Orange coax connector on the GA-MA74GM-S2 is described in the manual as:

"Coaxial S/PDIF Out Connector: This connector provides digital audio to an external audio system that supports digital coaxial audio. Before using this feature, ensure that your audio system provides a coaxial digital audio in connector."

The motherboard also has a 5-pin SPDIF_IO (S/PDIF In/Out Header, Red) header. I think the Gigabyte site has a bracket cable if your case doesn't have an existing cable connector.

Don't ask me if any of this stuff actually works; I have sound coming out of my left and right speakers through Alsa. Is there really any need for more?

Comment

Originally posted by VaHyper View Post
              I will never buy a foxconn component after: foxconn hates linux

I am leaning more towards a
              asus 780v atm...
              $5 more you could get the 780g. I'm not overly aware of differences. Another.
              Seems like V runs slower so should be cooler. If circulation is poor in your case that could be an issue. While my 780g chip gets hot, I have OK airflow. 780G also supports UVD which reduces CPU requirement for multimedia. You should probably get the 780g.

If you intend to use one of the higher power quad cpus, you should read up on problems with the 780g (and therefore maybe also with the 780v). I'm using a AMD4800 and have no CPU/power related problems. Though I might have bought the 4850e if it was available back then for even lower power consumption.

I see for about $25 more gigabyte has a 780g board with 128MB DDR3 side port memory. I'm not sure if the memory is there. I also didn't see where the port was. Chances are the 7600gs (I think you already have) would still be faster.
              Last edited by forum1793; 08-24-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X