Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New RadeonHD driver and 3870 x2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New RadeonHD driver and 3870 x2

    I am new with radeonhd driver and I just want to know is it possible to get 3D support on radeon hd 3870 x2 with new radeonhd driver , I really need 3D support for my card on linux...thanks

  • #2
    The RadeonHD (or any other open-source R500/600 driver) doesn't yet support full 3D... It won't be for a few months for R500 and even longer for R600. If you need 3D your only choice right now is the Catalyst "fglrx" driver.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      But in ATI release notes for new driver says:

      Note: The ATI Radeon™ HD 3870x2 series of product is currently not supported by the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite

      pfff, ok

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gotthard View Post
        But in ATI release notes for new driver says:

        Note: The ATI Radeon™ HD 3870x2 series of product is currently not supported by the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite

        pfff, ok
        It'll still work as a plain HD 3870.... Meaning that instead of using both chips it'll only use one chip. But at least it'll still work.

        Comment


        • #5
          I tried with fglrx and I always get this error message

          (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:0) found
          (EE) No devices detected

          Fatal server error:
          no screens found

          Comment


          • #6
            Please show:

            lspci -n|grep 0300:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Please show:

              lspci -n|grep 0300:
              04:00.0 0300: 1002:950f

              Comment


              • #8
                You could try adding a

                ChipID 0x9501

                override in the Device section and add your 950F in fglrxko_pci_ids.h - this file is pretty simple. Maybe you get it working then just with unsupported ATI watermark. A more brutal way would be changing fglrx_drv.so

                sed -i 's/0x9501/0x950F/' fglrx_drv.so

                But I guess you need to patch the other header file too, if you want it easy use the same sed command on it. If you are really lucky that works... 0x9501 is standard 3870.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gotthard View Post
                  I tried with fglrx and I always get this error message

                  (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:0) found
                  (EE) No devices detected

                  Fatal server error:
                  no screens found
                  Or check what version of the driver you are trying to use.. I have a plain old 3870 and it gave me the same error when I tried it, but then I updated the drivers to the newest version and it started working.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe ATI has internal drivers for that card, but the official ones do not support this PCI ID.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You could try adding a

                      ChipID 0x9501

                      override in the Device section and add your 950F in fglrxko_pci_ids.h - this file is pretty simple. Maybe you get it working then just with unsupported ATI watermark. A more brutal way would be changing fglrx_drv.so

                      sed -i 's/0x9501/0x950F/' fglrx_drv.so

                      But I guess you need to patch the other header file too, if you want it easy use the same sed command on it. If you are really lucky that works... 0x9501 is standard 3870.
                      Hey.

                      I've tried this on my Gentoo amd64. Unfortunately it had no effect - still the dreaded no screens found, no device etc. Would you know of other checks the driver may be doing? (and of other hacks )

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I tried too, and still does not work heh

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Did you recompile the kernel module after the change of the header file?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It`s not working on Mandriva so I have installed openSuSE and it is working , I just had to put chipId in xorg.conf and it is ok now Thank you very much

                            P.S.
                            I have a in a bottom right corner AMD Logo and it says Unsupported hardware, is there any chance to remove it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well I patched out the complete logo code until I discovered that in most cases there is a more easy fix - just to reuse files (in /etc/ati) from other drivers. In your case you would need a logo hack, but will not look into that. Currently I do not even put my old ATI card back in my pc, the new 8800 GTS is just too nice

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X