New RadeonHD driver and 3870 x2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gotthard View Post
    It`s not working on Mandriva so I have installed openSuSE and it is working , I just had to put chipId in xorg.conf and it is ok now
    Unfortunately I have a working gentoo system for like 3 years, so I will not switch distributions. Did you notice anything relevant between Mandriva and OpenSuSE that could help on Gentoo?

What I did was:
    1. sed'ed the fglrx_drv.so from the X libs.
    2. changed the header in the fglrx module to contain that hardware id (also compiled and installed the module)
    3. started X with ChipID=9501 and without. (Maybe I should try with ChipID=950F?)

Did I miss anything of relevance?

Comment

Well when you use sed you can not use the chip id override. In that case you have to use it "pure". Or dont sed the fglrx.ko (just reinstall driver) and use chip id override.

Comment

Thanks, Kano, for the quick and helpful reply. I have XVideo back!!! *cheering*

I dare to contradict - using the ChipID override (probably correctly this time) and the sed'ed drivers it worked, using ChipID 0x9501. I guess I may have messed up the ChipID command (or the BusID etc) in Xorg.conf the first time around.

However, I am now at the logo phase - I have browsed the files in /etc/ati, but haven't found anything that would look like a logo-related setting.

Any hints?

Comment

Well if you want to do what I did before use objdump -d fglrx_drv.so and see what you find. I have absolutely not time/lust to put my ati card back into my pc. Maybe if it would be my x2 card, but not for a stupid X700 SE...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Well if you want to do what I did before use objdump -d fglrx_drv.so and see what you find. I have absolutely not time/lust to put my ati card back into my pc. Maybe if it would be my x2 card, but not for a stupid X700 SE...
            I will definitely try, as soon as I get back into town. Probably, I will ask for further insight since I haven't yet heard of objdump

Comment

You need at least basic ASM knowledge for that. Up to 8.40.4 (long ago) it was possible to automatically disable all logo code by replacing all calls with Logo in the name with nops (0x90). But now it seems to work differently.

Comment

Working...
              X