Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I checked out xf86-video-ati from git yesterday to try xv on my RS690 equipped HTPC, but xvinfo only returned "no adaptors present".

    Is xv supposed to work on RS960 chips? Do I need to add something to the configuration file?

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by DocentDAMP View Post
      I checked out xf86-video-ati from git yesterday to try xv on my RS690 equipped HTPC, but xvinfo only returned "no adaptors present".

      Is xv supposed to work on RS960 chips? Do I need to add something to the configuration file?
      It should work. Are you sure you installed it properly? The drivers install to /usr/local unless you override when you run configure:
      Code:
      ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
      Make sure you back the current driver in case something goes wrong.

      Comment


      • #23
        On my RS690 (Asus M2A-VM) I get nothing but strangely coloured triangles.
        Could this be due to lack of proper DRI drivers?

        /Paul

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          It should work. Are you sure you installed it properly? The drivers install to /usr/local unless you override when you run configure:
          Code:
          ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
          Make sure you back the current driver in case something goes wrong.
          Thanks! I probably did something wrong with the updating of the git code because I checked out a clean copy, compiled it and now I get some decent output from xvinfo.

          However, when I run "mplayer -vo xv any_film.avi" I get nothing but flickering red and green fields/triangles. This is probably the same problem xpgdk has.

          Comment


          • #25
            texturedvideo seems to be ignored on my x200m. the xv overlay worked also before, but rendering still results not present. since rs690 should be about the same i was thinking that rs480 would also support texturedvideo.
            or do i have to compile something else beside xf86-video-ati?!

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
              texturedvideo seems to be ignored on my x200m. the xv overlay worked also before, but rendering still results not present. since rs690 should be about the same i was thinking that rs480 would also support texturedvideo.
              or do i have to compile something else beside xf86-video-ati?!
              It's not on by default on rs480 cards, but it should work, it's just that no one has tested it. You could go in and edit the code to enable it for rs480. Let me know and I can provide a patch.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                This adds support for Xv adapters using the texture engine for display and colorspace conversion. Since the textures draw directly to the framebuffer, they work with composited desktops and rotation. So yes, using the textured adapter will work properly with compiz. We still expose the overlay adapter as well however, so make sure you use the right one when running compiz.

                I'm not sure I follow you on this: you say it draws directly to framebuffer, but then say it should get redirected properly by compiz.. I don't think that makes sense

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by pedepy View Post
                  I'm not sure I follow you on this: you say it draws directly to framebuffer, but then say it should get redirected properly by compiz.. I don't think that makes sense
                  when you use the overlay, the video data is written to a separate overlay buffer and a colorkey is drawn to the part of the screen where the video would be. When the crtc scans out the frame, if the overlay is enabled and sourced to that crtc, the area with the colorkey is replaced by the video data when the pixel stream is sent to the output. When you use textured video, the texture engine converts the YUV data to RGB and writes it to a buffer: either the scanout buffer itself or a pixmap for composite. Since the data is actually there in a buffer it can be blended, etc. This doesn't work with the overlay because there is no data in the buffer, just colorkey; the streams are mixed during scanout.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    It's not on by default on rs480 cards, but it should work, it's just that no one has tested it. You could go in and edit the code to enable it for rs480. Let me know and I can provide a patch.
                    if that could help you devs to get it working i'd be glad to try it out and see if it works.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      latest commit made the checkboard pattern on radeon 9700 disappear, texturedvideo is useable now
                      R300/R500: set the number graphics pipes properly

                      This should fix the checkerboard issues on r300/r350 cards.
                      btw: this also fixed exa-accelerated rotation.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X