Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI 6.8.0 Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open-Source ATI 6.8.0 Driver Released

    Phoronix: Open-Source ATI 6.8.0 Driver Released

    It's been a long time in the making, but the xf86-video-ati driver has finally reached version 6.8.0! The major improvements in this new version include the drivers now all using libpciaccess, restructuring of the ATI wrapper, Radeon support for the R500/600 series using the AtomBIOS, initial Render acceleration support for the R300/400 series, improve BIOS/driver interaction, and many other changes. More information can be found in the Xorg release announcement...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjMzOQ

  • #2
    Did somebody try this driver with Xpress 200m?

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow! So is this the driver to use over fglrx on an R520 (X1400) that is used for video? Does Xv work properly?
      Last edited by Porter; 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am also interested in the state of the infamous Xpress 200m with this new driver?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Porter View Post
          Wow! So is this the driver to use over fglrx on an R520 (X1400) that is used for video? Does Xv work properly?
          No, the xf86-video-ati 6.8.0 driver only supports 2D accel for the R500 series. There is no 3D or X-Video support at this time.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No, the xf86-video-ati 6.8.0 driver only supports 2D accel for the R500 series. There is no 3D or X-Video support at this time.
            Bummer. Will it at least allow basic video playback scaled to fullscreen on an R500+ without terrible pixelation? I could care less what method it uses to draw to the screen, as long as it works.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Porter View Post
              Bummer. Will it at least allow basic video playback scaled to fullscreen on an R500+ without terrible pixelation? I could care less what method it uses to draw to the screen, as long as it works.
              If using X11 in mplayer, yes, but I haven't tried it myself (with either Radeon or RadeonHD) so I cannot comment on its quality, but will be second-rate compared to fglrx with X-Video / TexturedVideo.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                If using X11 in mplayer, yes, but I haven't tried it myself (with either Radeon or RadeonHD) so I cannot comment on its quality, but will be second-rate compared to fglrx with X-Video / TexturedVideo.
                True on X11 vs. working Xv accel, but fglrx doesn't support Xv video rendering on the R5xx right now, or perhaps it's broken. That's with TexturedVideo turned on in xorg.conf, and VideoOverlay turned off.

                See also: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7876
                Last edited by Porter; 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm excited about the work on Render accel. Though it's still pretty basic, I hope to see more getting added in the future. Go Xorg devs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    If using X11 in mplayer, yes, but I haven't tried it myself (with either Radeon or RadeonHD) so I cannot comment on its quality, but will be second-rate compared to fglrx with X-Video / TexturedVideo.

                    I find using "mplayer -vo x11 -zoom videofile" using a non-fglrx driver works fine assuming you have a decent machine...

                    Like fglrx has resulted in horrible diagonal tearing for the past year, so I was glad to get rid of that. It was terrible to watch anything; and resulted in an unusable setup.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When I had an ATI card this driver was good because with the 9600 you could see videos, you could see compiz (just see because the fps was not so great in scrollings even if it was better than fglrx scrolling) and generally you could work... but it had an issue: games performances were not always so good as fglrx. If you don't play games (some emulator excluded ) this driver is the best choice.
                      Last edited by kirý; 02-20-2008, 04:26 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                        I am also interested in the state of the infamous Xpress 200m with this new driver?
                        i'm on the live git branch of xf86-video-ati and the driver works quite well. though, there's no render working on this board; even if forced it is disabled at startup. the vt switch seems still broken and opengl still doesn't work but you have hw accel for divx5 some divx6 and xvid movies. this is quite good since neither fglrx has this yet.
                        xv works well and fast, exa is still a little buggy and slow and with some artifacts, but it could get better in no time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You dream too much, there was never divx acc available, not even with win!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                            the vt switch seems still broken and opengl still doesn't work
                            the vt switch means ctrl+alt+f1 into text mode right ?

                            I'm facing this on rs690 though right now I'm running only the radeon driver 6.8.0 from sid ... Mesa and drm are old versions but I planned to upgrade them (compile from git) and see if it helps ...
                            I guess it will not help?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                              but you have hw accel for divx5 some divx6 and xvid movies. this is quite good since neither fglrx has this yet.
                              xv works well and fast, exa is still a little buggy and slow and with some artifacts, but it could get better in no time.
                              Huh? What card are you using? Xv supported?

                              This seems to contradict everything said so far.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X