No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI R500 EXA & XAA Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why you'd want to disable the offscreen pixmap memory management, but you could try the FBTexPercent option from man radeon.

Option "FBTexPercent" "100"

should assign all memory for OpenGL textures and none for EXA offscreen. I've not tested this!

Comment

Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
      I don't know why you'd want to disable the offscreen pixmap memory management, but you could try the FBTexPercent option from man radeon.

Option "FBTexPercent" "100"

should assign all memory for OpenGL textures and none for EXA offscreen. I've not tested this!
      i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
        i'll give it a shot and see what happens.
        Don't, you're disabling EXA that way. XAANoOffscreenPixmaps is needed because XAA is not good and the software implementation is faster than the "acceleration", but EXA works, so you don't need to tweak FBTexPercent.

That said, this article is pointless! There's no EXA render acceleration for R500 with the xf86-video-ati driver, just check the sources (radeon_exa_funcs.c)!

Comment

Right. AFAIK there are some EXA calls implemented (solid fills and copy) but without render the performance is still pretty slow. The missing EXA calls are the ones which need the 3d engine, so they won't be enabled yet.

We are trying to keep the 2d accel implementations in radeon and radeonhd compatible so that improvements in either one can be pushed easily across to the other as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GhePeU View Post
            XAANoOffscreenPixmaps is needed because XAA is not good and the software implementation is faster than the "acceleration", but EXA works, so you don't need to tweak FBTexPercent.
            What's the syntax for the

XAANoOffscreenPixmaps

option? Is it:

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "enable"

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
              What's the syntax for the

XAANoOffscreenPixmaps

option? Is it:

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "enable"
              Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true" but also enable should work. look into the xorg log and see if it skips the option or not. if it is not skipped then the syntax is correct.

Comment

Tks. Subjectively, enabling that makes things noticeably faster.

Comment

Here's some informal GTKperf results (default settings), radeonHD (latest from git), ATI X1950XTX, Intel Core2Duo E6600, Ubuntu 7.10:

ShadowFB 6.02
                  XAA (XAANoOffscreenPixmmaps) 11.7
                  XAA 17.74

Comment

I don't know if it's always been like this, but latest driver from git with "AccelMethod" "EXA" added, cripples my computer to the max.

Comment

Working...
                    X