Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is AtomBIOS & These Different Drivers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    VMware is always behind with kernel support. That's why i only use VirtualBox. Speed is fine.

    Comment


    • #62
      I realize to all that Phoronix.com is largely responsible for open source video drivers development ?

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Click SSL View Post
        I realize to all that Phoronix.com is largely responsible for open source video drivers development ?
        No, they are not at all responsible for video driver development.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by adamk View Post
          No, they are not at all responsible for video driver development.
          To be perfectly clear: they (he, I don't think Phoronix is anyone more than one person) are not responsible for any video driver development.

          Comment


          • #65
            Hi there !
            I'm back with good news : i won !
            After weeks of research i could make my multiseat work pretty fine with FGLRX on kubuntu 10.4
            I built an hybrid multiseat system with 2 HD3870 cards : 2 Xorg running with one shared by 2 Xephyr servers.
            I'm running 3 seats with 2 physical cards.
            The unshared Xorg runs Windows XP under VMware Player with GLX acceleration enabled (so Direct3D too)
            There one or two problems remaining (but i'm happy now :-))
            I can't activate GLX pass through in Xephyr because of FGLRX lacks.
            For now, i still work on to make it "proper" but if you have any questions... ask !
            Thanks for your help guys.

            Comment


            • #66
              Any reason why you need to run FGLRX?

              The radeon driver works really well for multi-seat, including 3d and 2d acceleration.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Any reason why you need to run FGLRX?

                The radeon driver works really well for multi-seat, including 3d and 2d acceleration.
                Radeon driver can't activate the YUV output and i need it.

                I could read that only fglrx enables advanced power management and it seems to be better in 3D too.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Hi all,
                  I've read all the thread and some things are clearer to me, some don't.

                  I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits on a HP laptop with a HD5650. And my question is pretty simple: what do I have to do to be able to run 3D acceleration and Compiz effects WITHOUT using the fglrx driver?

                  Please, tell me that's possible

                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by romu View Post
                    Hi all,
                    I've read all the thread and some things are clearer to me, some don't.

                    I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits on a HP laptop with a HD5650. And my question is pretty simple: what do I have to do to be able to run 3D acceleration and Compiz effects WITHOUT using the fglrx driver?

                    Please, tell me that's possible

                    Thanks.
                    Hi Romu,
                    Yes it's possible if you use the open source driver for AMD adapters like 'radeon' or 'radeonhd' driver.

                    'radeon' driver is the best alternative to fglrx, more enhenced than 'radeonhd' with good 3D performances and compatible with compiz but with lacks of functions for power managing and temperature/fan control than fglrx...

                    See your distro documentation to install it.

                    (Le bonjour de Rennes ;-) )

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by romu View Post
                      Hi all,
                      I've read all the thread and some things are clearer to me, some don't.

                      I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits on a HP laptop with a HD5650. And my question is pretty simple: what do I have to do to be able to run 3D acceleration and Compiz effects WITHOUT using the fglrx driver?

                      Please, tell me that's possible

                      Thanks.
                      I don't know how exactly to do it on Ubuntu, but basically, you need to get the updated open source drivers from the xorg-edgers-ppa.

                      You will need:

                      - the most recent kernel you can get
                      - the most recent mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-ati.

                      That should be it. Remove your xorg.conf and restart.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X