Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Phoronix: AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Back in May I wrote about how AMD's open-source support for Hawaii was broken months after the Radeon R9 290 series was introduced... Fast forward to today, the AMD Hawaii open-source support is still broken...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0NjA

But, Catalyst isn't a piece of OpenGL support crap?

Comment

I've fixed up a line in the article:
      Then again, if you've just spent several hundred dollars on an AMD Radeon R9 290 series graphics card, chances are you'll want to get a refund and buy nvidia

Comment

Stop the AMD bashing please!

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
        Then again, if you've just spent several hundred dollars on an AMD Radeon R9 290 series graphics card, chances are you'll want to get a refund and buy nvidia
        Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
        But, Catalyst isn't a piece of OpenGL support crap?
        This doesn't help any one.

Comment

So much for the myth that releasing hardware documentation means open source drivers will appear out of nowhere. Did you think the drivers will write themselves?

Comment

So you get what? Another card that doesn't run on opensource stack and needs a closed blob...
            At least support for an amd card will come sooner or later; forget it about nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
              This doesn't help any one.
              Neither does doing a half arsed job **cough**AMD**cough**

And comment like those do help - I'm sure you would like to know about cruddy products before buying them?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                So you get what? Another card that doesn't run on opensource stack and needs a closed blob...
                At least support for an amd card will come sooner or later; forget it about nvidia.
                A card that works NOW, not maybe some time in the future.. Graphics cards aint like bottles of wine...

Comment

nvidia

don't buy amd cards, great hardware, garbage drivers the normal thing

Comment

A card that works NOW, not maybe some time in the future.. Graphics cards aint like bottles of wine...
                    Maybe you miss something.

Fact: both latest amd and nvidia cards work *now* with their blobs.
                    Fact: amd cards will have fully open support in the future
                    Fact: nvidia cards have reverse engineered support you won't know how and when.

The rest is bul**hit

Comment

Working...
                    X