AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
    A card that works NOW, not maybe some time in the future.. Graphics cards aint like bottles of wine...
    Except it wouldn't work now.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      don't buy amd cards, great hardware, garbage drivers the normal thing
      Don't buy NVIDIA, garbage everything.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
        Maybe you miss something.

Fact: both latest amd and nvidia cards work *now* with their blobs.
        Fact: amd cards will have fully open support in the future
        Fact: nvidia cards have reverse engineered support you won't know how and when.

The rest is bul**hit
        No, but youre missing a few things:
        Fact: fglrx is garbage. eg xvba + steamos
        Fact: Again, you dont buy a top tier gpu in the hope that it will work well some day down the line...
        Fact: nvidia support their gpus for longer than amd and imho past the cards relevance

And lets not forget the obvious here: these days the only reason to buy a dedicated gpu is for performance reasons - it isnt a necessity anymore. So why by one that is inferior to the other products on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          don't buy amd cards, great hardware, garbage drivers the normal thing
          I find that most people who complain about AMD's drivers usually have no idea what they're doing with their computer, and just blame what the bandwagon does.

I've had little issue with AMD and their drivers on my computers. Meanwhile, some people will swear up and down AMD's drivers caused their GPU to explode or some bs whenever they touched the GPU with a screwdriver or intentionally overvolted/clocked it.

I tend to take driver complaints on any hardware or platform from anyone with a grain of salt. Unless an issue can be explained on a technical level (like "graphics corruption on mouse pointer on Unity is due to the GLX extension ARB_Extention not being implemented correctly on radeonsi hardware"; note that's a random nonsense example), I'll assume the reporter is improperly placing blame somewhere, or just spreading FUD.

As for a personal experience, the open-source graphics drivers work well on my desktop 7850 and 7660G laptop (has a 7670M dGPU but I don't use it atm). Months ago, Catalyst did have slightly (slightly being between 5-15 FPS) better OpenGL performance, but also comes with it's share of issues (like my laptop only having about a 50/50 chance at starting up properly).
          Last edited by Guest; 21 July 2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            Except it wouldn't work now.
            Huh? They do work and most importantly - they work very well.

Comment

Fascinating how this article has attracted the nvidia trolls.

Poor creatures, the only joy they get is from bitching about AMD. But then it is not like they have anything to contribute to linux or open source.

Comment

Huh? They do work and most importantly - they work very well.
                Not for me and even if it did the performance at the moment is quite poor.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Fascinating how this article has attracted the nvidia trolls.

Poor creatures, the only joy they get is from bitching about AMD. But then it is not like they have anything to contribute to linux or open source.
                  Gotta meet a daily quota for how much FUD you spread to get paid by NVIDIA apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    I find that most people who complain about AMD's drivers usually have no idea what they're doing with their computer, and just blame what the bandwagon does.
                    Thats not a arrogant statement at all.

I've had little issue with AMD and their drivers on my computers. Meanwhile, some people will swear up and down AMD's drivers caused their GPU to explode or some bs whenever they touched the GPU with a screwdriver or intentionally overvolted/clocked it.
                    That doesnt really mean much because no one knows what you use your computer for.

I tend to take driver complaints on any hardware or platform from anyone with a grain of salt. Unless an issue can be explained on a technical level (like "graphics corruption on mouse pointer on Unity is due to the GLX extension ARB_Extention not being implemented correctly on radeonsi hardware"; note that's a random nonsense example), I'll assume the reporter is improperly placing blame somewhere, or just spreading FUD.
                    So youre saying the article and the devs mentioned in it are 'improperly placing blame somewhere, or just spreading FUD.'?

As for a personal experience, the open-source graphics drivers work well on my desktop 7850 and 7660G laptop (has a 7670M dGPU but I don't use it atm). Months ago, Catalyst did have slightly (slightly being between 5-15 FPS) better OpenGL performance, but also comes with it's share of issues (like my laptop only having about a 50/50 chance at starting up properly).
                    So what was the technical reason behind these bugs?

Comment

No, but youre missing a few things:
                      Fact: fglrx is garbage. eg xvba + steamos
                      Say thanks to nvidia with their "the way it's meant to be played" stuff. Fglrx follows specs more closely than nvidia but developers just don't care (see for example recent commits to mesa where Marek made quirks for Unigine software which do not follow specs but "just works" on nvidia).
                      Fact: Again, you dont buy a top tier gpu in the hope that it will work well some day down the line...
                      Use fglrx. It just works. I've been using fglrx for more than 5 years and it worked most of the time. Yes, there are certain problems but at least it never crashed my kernel at random times.
                      Fact: nvidia support their gpus for longer than amd and imho past the cards relevance
                      Tell me moar about it. I have 9600GT m in a laptop and you know what? Nvidia has only legacy support for it. Moreover there are kernel crashes from time to time which appeared some time ago and which nvidia is not going to fix anyways (there was a lengthy thread in nvidia's forum).

So all your facts are the same as MS's "get the facts".

Comment

Working...
                      X