Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

After earlier this week posting some fresh NVIDIA VDPAU video playback performance tests, here is some testing of the open-source AMD Radeon driver with R600 and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers while using the VDPAU state tracker for open-source, accelerated video playback using the graphics cards' UVD engine.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20592

Based on these results, and compared to the NVidia results from a little while ago... ( http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._metrics&num=2 )
    Even the lowest-end AMD card tested, on FOSS drivers, has a lower % CPU usage than the highest-end NVidia card with their binary driver eh? And aside from those weird 3-4 cards in the 52+ degrees Celsius range, the rest were right around most of the Nvidia cards, temperature wise...

That being said, the most interesting NVidia benchmark is missing on this one. I'm interested to know the GPU % usage for these.

All in all: Congrats are in order for the AMD FOSS developers

Comment

I just thought back to those dark days of running radeonhd on my 690G. Progress. Progress...

All in all: Congrats are in order for the AMD FOSS developers
      And Michael for benchmarking VDPAU.

Comment

When we are at it already, are there any updates on the state of UVD support on RS780/RS880/RV790?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          That being said, the most interesting NVidia benchmark is missing on this one. I'm interested to know the GPU % usage for these.
          This indeed. sudo apt-get install radeontop

Comment

Would this also work with a Radeon HD 3200?

I have an old mainboard with an onboard HD 3200, I could use that for a HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              When we are at it already, are there any updates on the state of UVD support on RS780/RS880/RV790?
              Wasn't it done and waiting technical review.
              I think the review would take time and i guess it's not on top of the list.

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              Would this also work with a Radeon HD 3200?

I have an old mainboard with an onboard HD 3200, I could use that for a HTPC.
              I think it uses RS780/RS880/RV790

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I think it uses RS780/RS880/RV790
                So, is this a yes?

According to Wikipedia the HD 3200 has RS780 UVD.

Comment

So, is this a yes?

According to Wikipedia the HD 3200 has RS780 UVD.
                  RadeonFeature page for r600 driver states:

4 DONE for RV710, RV730, RV740, TODO for RV770, RS780/880, R6xx
                  I guess those are only wich does not have it implemented, but has some uvd hardware .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    RadeonFeature page for r600 driver states:
                    Ah, too bad, maybe next year. Thanks for looking this up for me.

Comment

Ah, too bad, maybe next year.
                      Sure, next year

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                        Wasn't it done and waiting technical review.
                        I think the review would take time and i guess it's not on top of the list.
                        According to bridgman it something between ready and up for legal review, which probably will cause further development work. And yes, he has confirmed that it is low priority (though AM3+ boards with the RS880 are still sold in the real world), but low priority does not mean that no one ever touches it.

I personally doubt that we will ever see it, but bridgman explicitly said that they would tell us if that is the case. Something I don't believe, I think nobody will work on it until no one uses those chipsets anymore. Kind of a self solving problem in the long term, but the kind of problem that will prevent me from going for AMD the next time I buy a laptop.

Comment

Would be nice if a AMD Guy can tell something about the UVD1 and UVD+ Support. I have still 3 Boxes with this type of Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver View Post
                            Sure, next year
                            While pre-R600 updates are looking pretty grim (hell, even R600 is starting to lose some traction at this point), there's still a chance stuff like this can be released when the devs get the time. Right now RadeonSI and getting stuff like openGL 4.x out the door appears to be a higher priority to them, and I don't blame them.

But I have to say, these are some pretty impressive results. Even the crappiest of the GPUs listed didn't break a sweat. I think Michael's choice of a CPU was good too - not a piece of crap but something that will struggle a little.

I'm really happy to see the rate of progress for these drivers. There are things I personally would prefer them prioritize, but honestly I don't think there's going to be much wait in the long run.

Anybody know of a chart showing the openGL 4.x progress for each driver? I'm just curious how much of 4.x has been completed and how much more there is to do.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                              Anybody know of a chart showing the openGL 4.x progress for each driver? I'm just curious how much of 4.x has been completed and how much more there is to do.
                              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...n/docs/GL3.txt

Or maybe something like this .

http://people.freedesktop.org/~imirk...o/glxinfo.html

Comment

Working...
                              X