Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

    Phoronix: Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

    Fast color clear support has appeared in patch form for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver as a move that should further benefit the open-source GPU driver's performance...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNDY

  • #2
    If you missed it, be sure to checkout our recent R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D tests on Ubuntu 14.04 compared to the Catalyst driver where for some workloads this open-source code is running at ~80%+ the speed of AMD's binary blob.
    Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.
      Depends on what distro and what versions you're running on RadeonSI

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.
        That's not true, with the current versions of all the SI driver components it works better than fglrx now, at least in terms of stability/etc. You only want to use fglrx now if maximum performance matters, or you really need GL4.

        Comment


        • #5
          Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
          I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

          Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

          (Using A10-7850K btw)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
            I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

            Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

            (Using A10-7850K btw)
            Make sure you have a new version of the ati 2d driver, manually turn the 2d tiling on, and a new version of glamor. LLVM too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
              I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

              Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

              (Using A10-7850K btw)
              you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

              Xorg-1.15
              libdrm
              glamor
              xf86-video-ati
              mesa
              kernel
              llvm svn
              GLU
              GLEW
              XCB

              recommended aditional
              cairo
              pixman

              Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

              if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc

              Comment


              • #8
                what kind of graphical cards are involved in the project?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
                  I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

                  Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

                  (Using A10-7850K btw)
                  You need llvm 3.4 instead of the stock one which is 3.3
                  Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

                  Xorg-1.15
                  libdrm
                  glamor
                  xf86-video-ati
                  mesa
                  kernel
                  llvm svn
                  GLU
                  GLEW
                  XCB

                  recommended aditional
                  cairo
                  pixman

                  Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

                  if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc
                  Then recommended way for fedora users is to update mesa while enabling rawhide
                  Btw, libwayland* also need upgrades because some ABI issues, although not specified by rpm.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Okay i'm doing it wrong. Thanks for this hint
                    Does one of you kind forum members own a kaveri and can tell me if it can run for example "portal 2" or "sir, youre being hunted" or "Verdun"? In theory metro should work, is it playable?
                    I'd like to know if its worth the effort fiddeling around with it ...

                    (using archlinux btw and testing branch should be fine?!)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      Okay i'm doing it wrong. Thanks for this hint
                      Does one of you kind forum members own a kaveri and can tell me if it can run for example "portal 2" or "sir, youre being hunted" or "Verdun"? In theory metro should work, is it playable?
                      I'd like to know if its worth the effort fiddeling around with it ...

                      (using archlinux btw and testing branch should be fine?!)
                      use arch linux and with testing and lcarlier repo, for me is rock solid since forever

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                        use arch linux and with testing and lcarlier repo, for me is rock solid since forever
                        TYVM!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                          Okay i'm doing it wrong. Thanks for this hint
                          Does one of you kind forum members own a kaveri and can tell me if it can run for example "portal 2" or "sir, youre being hunted" or "Verdun"? In theory metro should work, is it playable?
                          I'd like to know if its worth the effort fiddeling around with it ...

                          (using archlinux btw and testing branch should be fine?!)
                          So, pretty much all the source games I have tried work on the R600 driver, but that may or may not help you. I do know that Arch hasn't put in Mesa 10.1 for whatever reason, so you may have to use the lcarlier repo, which has mesa-git in it. The only other thing I can think of is that you might want to pull the latest kernel RC releases, as they might have improvements used in mesa-git.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                            what kind of graphical cards are involved in the project?
                            As the article stated: AMD Radeon HD7000 and newer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                              Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.
                              Aww, now I really feel bad for finishing Portal 2 on my HD7850 without a single problem... (Fedora 20, kernel 3.13.5, mesa 10.1)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X