Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
    Its Glx that is at version 1.4 not my systems implementation of OpenGl. From what I've learnt in the last day GlEW the GL extension Wrangler is the standard way to use later GL functionality. GLEW determines their availability at runtime rather than at compile time. This means that GLX, doesn't have to be updated every time that Opengl adds new functionality.
    Why can't you just use opengl native? Yea, you can't assume EGL, but you can assume nowadays OGL 3+ or even better GLES 2+. IE, include glew and gl.h, not glx.h. GLX is just a couple additional functions to extend openGL on X.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Why can't you just use opengl native? Yea, you can't assume EGL, but you can assume nowadays OGL 3+ or even better GLES 2+. IE, include glew and gl.h, not glx.h. GLX is just a couple additional functions to extend openGL on X.
      I'd love to get rid of GLX. Xlib is awful to work with. But from what I've read even if you're using XCB you have to use some xlib functions to get an OpenGL context. So how do I open a Window and get a context? And How do I access my input?

Comment

Originally posted by rich oliver View Post
        i'd love to get rid of glx. Xlib is awful to work with. But from what i've read even if you're using xcb you have to use some xlib functions to get an opengl context. So how do i open a window and get a context? And how do i access my input?
        sdl, glfw ...

Comment

I'd love to get rid of GLX. Xlib is awful to work with. But from what I've read even if you're using XCB you have to use some xlib functions to get an OpenGL context. So how do I open a Window and get a context? And How do I access my input?
          www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMPCSqQ-34#t=13m24s
          Last edited by AJenbo; 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

You really should be using SDL2 to abstract away all that crap. Then you don't have to worry about glx, egl, or even wgl on windows.

I believe calling glx directly will only give you the stuff that it can send over X across the wire remotely (in an indirect context), which is extremely difficult with a lot of the newer GL functionality, so they haven't bothered even trying to support all that stuff directly.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X