Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Phoronix: R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Yesterday I wrote about Geometry Shaders support proposed for the R600 Gallium3D driver, a major OpenGL 3.2 feature and is needed for getting the R600g driver up to par with RadeonSI and the other Mesa/Gallium3D drivers either at or nearing OpenGL 3.3 compliance. Some Phoronix readers expressed outrage that this initial GS support was limited to the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, but now there's an early patch to provide geometry shaders to older AMD hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4ODQ

Don't have that hardware but happy to see support.

Comment

[Troll mode on]
      OMG noes! The R100 does not receive this love. Neither does the ATI Mach 64! Such a shame! AMD is not making customers happy.
      Now they will never reach OpenGL 3.3 compatibility! [/Troll mode off]

Oh, wait...

Really nice to see these patches. See, in the free driver world it is just a matter of time for some things to come. And sometimes it is just a few days. And sometimes the reason is just that upstream does not have that very hardware and doesn't want to write a blind update without the possibility to test. (Furthermore in these cases the documentation from AMD is there so everybody capable of driver hacking could write that code.
      Thanks AMD, thanks free driver team. I still have some of that hardware floating around (I guess I always have all sorts of old hardware around ) - but then, I am not sure if I really want my old HD3870 110W TDP (about 30 W idle?) passively cooled monster (Sapphire Ultimate) back in my main box.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        also one Linux kernel patch. On the kernel side that likely won't emerge until Linux 3.15.
        The kernel support should go into 3.14, michael. The merge window is still open, and this could easily hit rc2 or rc3 without rejection i'd think.

Comment

Thank you very much David!

Comment

Does anybody knows, will there be support for geometry shaders on Sandy Bridge?

Comment

good question!

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
              i m waiting for it to

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                Unless someone from the community implements it, likely not. Paul Berry, the Intel dev who worked on GS for Ivy and Haswell, is already working on other stuff.

Here's his message on what needs to be done to bring GS to Sandy: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html

Comment

okey, never comes

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Unless someone from the community implements it, likely not. Paul Berry, the Intel dev who worked on GS for Ivy and Haswell, is already working on other stuff.

Here's his message on what needs to be done to bring GS to Sandy: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html
                  okey, never comes, is really sad for intel don t spend a month to finish the maximium opengl api for sandy, but ok. nvidia is the best in this things

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    okey, never comes, is really sad for intel don t spend a month to finish the maximium opengl api for sandy, but ok. nvidia is the best in this things
                    What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?

Comment

What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?
                      This article is about exactly that, AMD provided documentation, David provided driver. Not sure what you want to prove. For SB, let's see, maybe somebody is up for the challenge.

Comment

it's still valid and your sarcasm is unwarranted.

better question is if there is anyone out there with both interest AND knowledge to use it to create that feature out of the people currently involved with the project. oss drivers in large portion are made by volunteers and you can't expect someone will hack for no reason whatsoever if they gain 0 from the work.

getting group of people who need it and trying to see what you can do with resources available would be most prudent action. and since that feature fits perfectly in mesa/galium plans i seriously doubt there would be some ideological problems like inclusion of direct3d tracker in wine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                          Yes, Nvidia's contributions to Mesa and kernel DRM are so massive and we are all much better off because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                            This article is about exactly that, AMD provided documentation, David provided driver.
                            Yes, but the forum thread has a derailment, and that's what I was participating in.

Not sure what you want to prove.
                            What makes you think I want to prove something? It was a jab on Andrecorreia's flat out dismissal of SB ever having geometry shaders.

For SB, let's see, maybe somebody is up for the challenge.
                            Would be nice. Would also be nice if someone remembered Ironlake also exists (the last person who worked on Ironlake is now working on newer stuff too).

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                            it's still valid and your sarcasm is unwarranted.
                            As mentioned above, my sarcasm wasn't directed at the meme itself, but at Andrecorreia.

Comment

As mentioned above, my sarcasm wasn't directed at the meme itself, but at Andrecorreia.
                              just my 2 cents. most users (me included) are not even capable following the documentation on gpu-s, way off to implement it. based on this, i doubt ppl like me would ever claim that "meme". and since the only ppl that actually used it were developers who can actually use it and are working on the projects your remark only makes up for one really badly aimed pun since there is no point is asking "what happened with..." if person in question never asked that

Comment

Working...
                              X