Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

support for first generation UVD blocks (RV6xx, RS780, RS880 and RV790)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by sotos4421 View Post
    Attention rs880 stopped working dpm with 3.14 kernel(drm-next)
    when using radeon.dpm=1 then
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe
    Please file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org Product: DRI, Component: DRM/Radeon) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      I would hardly call the possibility that we may not be able to support UVD on a few older asics a lack of commitment to open source. We support just about every feature of the hw with the exception of UVD on a few older parts and even then we may be able to release older UVD support once the review is done. There are features on older asics that Intel has chosen not to support as well.
      Though disappointing that the <=2.0 UVD isn't done, I agree. And the older UVD actually affects me. I have two machines with RS880 that would benefit from this.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pchristy View Post
        Well, it worked on my HD4000 laptop using MPlayer-vaapi.
        The HD4000 series have UVD2 and that was the firtst generation supported by xvba and the OSS radeon too.
        Originally posted by pchristy View Post
        I never used xvba - only vaapi.
        VAAPI uses an xvba backend on AMD cards and vdpau backend on nvidia, and something on Intel too, maybe Intel uses it directly?
        The problem is that vaapi doesnt use xvba directly and cannot use it to its full potential performance wise (has much higher CPU usage) plus you get texture corruption etc with it. Using xvba directly (xbmc's FernetMenta branch can do it) is another matter, it runs much better.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Please file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org Product: DRI, Component: DRM/Radeon) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.
          I do not ship it with today's update the dpm works again

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            I would hardly call the possibility that we may not be able to support UVD on a few older asics a lack of commitment to open source. We support just about every feature of the hw with the exception of UVD on a few older parts and even then we may be able to release older UVD support once the review is done. There are features on older asics that Intel has chosen not to support as well.
            ANY support - open source or not - would be welcome! And as for it being an "older part", I had only just bought it - in a newly released laptop - when support was withdrawn! Indeed, the laptop was so newly released that I had to hunt around to find anyone who had one in stock! I thought I was buying something that was "future proof" for a good few years! How much further wrong could I have been!

            The hardware is absolutely perfect for my needs. I don't want a touch screen - this is for video work and I don't want grubby fingerprints all over the screen. I DO want HD video and HDMI support in a compact unit. The hardware is perfectly capable of this. Your software is not! At least, not in a stable, modern form. There is no software under windoze that meets my needs - and anyway, I have no wish to make the world's richest man even richer at my expense! Linux fits the bill perfectly. The only thing that doesn't is the AMD drivers - open-source or otherwise!

            I'm sorry if I sound angry, but I definitely feel that I've been sold a pup. And as the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

            --
            Pete

            Comment


            • #21
              Any updates on this?

              Comment


              • #22
                A possible hack fix

                Originally posted by pchristy View Post
                ANY support - open source or not - would be welcome! And as for it being an "older part", I had only just bought it - in a newly released laptop - when support was withdrawn! Indeed, the laptop was so newly released that I had to hunt around to find anyone who had one in stock! I thought I was buying something that was "future proof" for a good few years! How much further wrong could I have been!

                The hardware is absolutely perfect for my needs. I don't want a touch screen - this is for video work and I don't want grubby fingerprints all over the screen. I DO want HD video and HDMI support in a compact unit. The hardware is perfectly capable of this. Your software is not! At least, not in a stable, modern form. There is no software under windoze that meets my needs - and anyway, I have no wish to make the world's richest man even richer at my expense! Linux fits the bill perfectly. The only thing that doesn't is the AMD drivers - open-source or otherwise!

                I'm sorry if I sound angry, but I definitely feel that I've been sold a pup. And as the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

                --
                Pete
                Here's what I would do:

                1: install the distro I wanted to use
                2: install the kernel and the X server (all of it) from the last distro the legacy driver supported
                3: install the legacy driver supported by that X server

                There are surprisingly few packages with versioned dependancies on X or the kernel, so this just might work. Do this from a clean install or if you are hacking a running system take a dd snapshot of your OS partition first, and make sure you can work from console to screw around with xorg.conf and that sort of thing. You are basically forking the disto to rebuild it around a
                known good driver

                Comment


                • #23
                  @Luke
                  Instead of using dd, it is probably better to use rsync to copy the system partition. I have used such a setup for a long time.
                  After a modification of /etc/fstab it is possible to flawlessly boot such a copy (preferably typing in raw GRUB commands).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Please understand AMD. They have got limited resources. The hardware was not designed to be supported by an open source driver.
                    Yet, AMD has a great Linux support that is steadily getting better.

                    UVD is not so critical because usually the CPU is powerful enough to decode HD video on demand.

                    In my laptop I have a Radeon HD 3450 and am quite satisfied with AMD support.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      firmware for the UVD block on older asics in git
                      https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...74a28c2753f184

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Finally, support for first generation UVD blocks is released.
                        I would like to thank all the people involved in this development.
                        Now, I only have to wait for my distro to get a 3.18 kernel... which is also going to take a while.
                        And finally my (not so old) hardware will be supported.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If you're on Ubuntu and don't want to build yourself, you can try the latest drm-intel-next kernel from here, and the Oibaf PPA.
                          Until Oibaf updates his firmware package, you'll have to copy it manually (before installing the kernel).
                          On my old PC with HD3650 AGP running 14.04.1 LTS, I could see CPU reduce from 65% down to 15% playing a 1080p H.264 with mpv and even mplayer/smplayer (but could not make VLC work, though).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Well, Fabio was quick and linux-firmware is already updated with the necessary uvd binaries, so no need to manually copy them anymore
                            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...327#post440327

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thanks but running LMDE here , will have to wait I guess.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X