Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon VRAM Optimizations Coming, But Help Is Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    GamingOnLinux has also covered this:
    http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...rs-better.2938

    Comment


    • #32
      Nice. I think that covers all the sites with technical Linux audience interested in graphics, all two

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Radeon VRAM Optimizations Coming, But Help Is Needed

        Got a workload that runs badly on the r600g Radeon Gallium3D driver? You can help fix it! Optimizations are coming to the open-source Radeon Linux driver for video memory usage...

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2Nzk
        Hi, I have a laptop with a rv710and 512mb vram, so I guess it's the perfect candidate for you.
        I have however, one problem with it: the cpu cooling is far too weak. I use TurionPowerControl to enable C1E and htc at startup, if not (and this is a problem in recovery when bypassing sysinit) I can guarantee it ends in an mce followed by a kernel shutdown.
        But when it's jumping in and out of htc slowdown, won't the results of your research be severely affected by this malfunction? I don't want to post corrupt data

        Comment


        • #34
          I try to help however I have couple questions.

          At first I use Wsnipex MESA ppa as I mainly use XBMC and Oibaf's PPA not always worked with it.

          Question 1.
          Do I need to purge Wsnipex PPA before I execute

          sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

          Question 2.
          Do I need to restart my desktop before/after update to Oibaf's ppa?

          Question 3.
          I have Steam games however I do not know when my steam library stored. Where is it? (default)

          Question 4.
          How and where I need to setup the environment variable?

          I know it is basic questions, but not everybody experts here. THANK YOU/

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LN17 View Post
            I try to help however I have couple questions.

            At first I use Wsnipex MESA ppa as I mainly use XBMC and Oibaf's PPA not always worked with it.

            Question 1.
            Do I need to purge Wsnipex PPA before I execute

            sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

            Question 2.
            Do I need to restart my desktop before/after update to Oibaf's ppa?

            Question 3.
            I have Steam games however I do not know when my steam library stored. Where is it? (default)

            Question 4.
            How and where I need to setup the environment variable?

            I know it is basic questions, but not everybody experts here. THANK YOU/
            1. Yes.
            2. All 3D apps started before the upgrade will still use the old driver, so if you want compiz to use the new drivers, 'yes'.

            Comment


            • #36
              Are the patches compatible with mesa 10.0.2 ?

              Comment


              • #37
                I've pushed a stats7 branch, rebased to work with the radeonsi naming changes, and added a 32-bit fix for LFS (2g file limit). Can any SI user test?

                Originally posted by jsollie View Post
                Hi, I have a laptop with a rv710and 512mb vram, so I guess it's the perfect candidate for you.
                I have however, one problem with it: the cpu cooling is far too weak. I use TurionPowerControl to enable C1E and htc at startup, if not (and this is a problem in recovery when bypassing sysinit) I can guarantee it ends in an mce followed by a kernel shutdown.
                But when it's jumping in and out of htc slowdown, won't the results of your research be severely affected by this malfunction? I don't want to post corrupt data
                How big FPS jumps does it cause for you? A variance within 5% would be well acceptable, but 20% wouldn't.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  Are the patches compatible with mesa 10.0.2 ?
                  The latest (stats7) are definitely not, due to the SI renames. stats6 may work, untested.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I've pushed a stats7 branch, rebased to work with the radeonsi naming changes, and added a 32-bit fix for LFS (2g file limit). Can any SI user test?
                    Produced https://anonfiles.com/file/1382dac3c...d2db9433ce51ee for me, seems to work.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      stats6 may work, untested.
                      No, damn.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X