Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
    ??? Does this mean that if they are ready with the new hardware support will they get the necessary information to code crossfire, overclocking, etc or these ones remain internal information so secret???
    Not sure if you're talking about open drivers or Catalyst here, since the open driver discussion was about timing relative to HW launch not feature set, but I *think* you were talking about open drivers so will answer for those...

I don't think any additional info is needed for splitting graphics work across multiple GPUs (what we call "Crossfire" in the Catalyst driver). We haven't collected & released info on the HW used to accelerate data transfers between boards in a crossfire pair but that's something which would be used for optimization at the end of the project, not something you need to start & implement. Splitting graphics across multiple GPUs is not particularly hardware-specific as long as you know how to render graphics on a single GPU.

Same goes for overclocking on older parts -- the driver reads clock frequencies from BIOS tables and loads them into hardware, although the values in the tables are the only ones which have been tested so we're not recommending changing them. If you're talking about "turbo boost" functionality on the most recent parts I'm not sure, but we have released programming info for the block that would manage it.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      not sure if you're talking about open drivers or catalyst here, since the open driver discussion was about timing relative to hw launch not feature set, but i *think* you were talking about open drivers so will answer for those...

I don't think any additional info is needed for splitting graphics work across multiple gpus (what we call "crossfire" in the catalyst driver). We haven't collected & released info on the hw used to accelerate data transfers between boards in a crossfire pair but that's something which would be used for optimization at the end of the project, not something you need to start & implement. Splitting graphics across multiple gpus is not particularly hardware-specific as long as you know how to render graphics on a single gpu.

Same goes for overclocking on older parts -- the driver reads clock frequencies from bios tables and loads them into hardware, although the values in the tables are the only ones which have been tested so we're not recommending changing them. If you're talking about "turbo boost" functionality on the most recent parts i'm not sure, but we have released programming info for the block that would manage it.
      thank you.

Comment

Again, that's kind of orthogonal to what I was saying. Workstation business tends to be "new hardware on older OS".

That said, the open source drivers have largely caught up with new hardware introductions, eg initial Kaveri support went upstream months before HW launch. IIRC we've actually been pretty good with launch time support for APUs, although we still need to be further in advance of HW launch to get support into available distros for HW launch time, even if it's just "good betas".
        Not that I complaing (have r600g card ), but radeonSI + 7xxx was not so good at the beginning (understandable). That's why I listed some fairy basic (amount of work needed aside) requirements. Will every new hw gen get them in stable components at release date? (I will assume from Your replay that yes).

Anyway thanks for answers. And as reward. . . More questions! Time to AMD replacing Catalyst driver with info of how to get Mesa updated? (Or more probable) Time to AMD first implementing AMD OpenGL extension in Mesa ahead of Catalyst?

Anyone know if Vadim still working on geometry shaders code for r600g? Any repo/branch one could track?

Comment

There's a lot of shared code between the Windows and Linux Catalyst drivers but that is somewhat orthogonal to workstation vs consumer focus...
          Thank you for explanation about Catalyst, but is there any way to get AMD devs attention to games problems with FGLRX?

E.g this topic about Planetary Annihilation:

Back to time when Valve just released Linux Steam this subforum appaer, but it's looks like nobody ever read it. I don't blame your or so, just want to see this game finally playable with AMD proprietary drivers because many people can't use open source drivers yet.

I'm helping developers of this game (manage bugtracker, push bugs), so I'm want to know if there anything can be done to get this problem resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
            That's 5 month old.

Any other public work on geometry shaders (in gallium3D) ?

Comment

What's with the order changing? Some graphs have the 4k first, some the 6k.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                That's 5 month old.

Any other public work on geometry shaders (in gallium3D) ?
                Dave has been looking at r600g geometry shaders:

and AMD is working on radeonsi geometry shaders internally.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Dave has been looking at r600g geometry shaders:

and AMD is working on radeonsi geometry shaders internally.

Good to see the progress.

Comment

Wow... More then 3+ years and you guys are still working on drivers that are "beginning to shape up" WTF! When do they reach the same level as the drivers from other vendors? Five years? Ten years? And you think people are going to wait for that? WTF!

Seriously, I know writing these is hard but you guys are mad if you think this is going fast enough. Just look at the trouble your in now. What are you going to ship on the Steam boxes? The steaming pile that is Catalyst? LOL! That'll be a nice impression for all of the new console buyers!

I would really like to hear what the internal thought process is here. Start hiring more developers for crying out loud!

Comment

Working...
                    X