No announcement yet.

Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main focus of fglrx is workstation applications.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Thats not an excuse for rendering issues maybe for less speed.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Are you confirming that AMD steam machines will use mesa/gallium drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
          Are you confirming that AMD steam machines will use mesa/gallium drivers?
          No, he's confirming that the main focus of the fglrx driver is workstation applications

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            No, he's confirming that the main focus of the fglrx driver is workstation applications
            I heard awhile ago AMD started to align the Linux driver with the Windows one.

A small history lesson firegl and radeon for x was indeed initially focused on workstation apps. Supposedly this was no longer the case as AMD/ATI started moving away from the old firegl codebase into the modern radeon era aligning it's code base with the Windows driver but I suppose there is the possibility that it's still the old arch with the new hardware features added on top but that seems very unconventional at this point. Eh what do I know I am drunk... Thanks Santa.

I'm more than aware Bridgman is AMD... I was just hoping the small portion of what I read was actually just a reference to the past and not (what I would call) a completely inept driver development model.
            Last edited by nightmarex; 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

There's a lot of shared code between the Windows and Linux Catalyst drivers (which, as you say, wasn't there at the start -- code sharing started in earnest for r5xx and continued to increase for a few years to the current level) but that is somewhat orthogonal to workstation vs consumer focus...

... and to blood alcohol levels

Comment

There's a lot of shared code between the Windows and Linux Catalyst drivers (which, as you say, wasn't there at the start -- code sharing started in earnest for r5xx and continued to increase for a few years to the current level) but that is somewhat orthogonal to workstation vs consumer focus...

... and to blood alcohol levels
                What's your definition of workstation machines?

Comment

Does this include the recent (shader? I forget what it was) fix or no?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver View Post
                    What's your definition of workstation machines?
                    AFAIK the key criteria are still :

- generally running a small number of specific 3D CAD/CAE applications
                    - customers require application vendor certification
                    - workload is more vertex-intensive (eg wireframe modelling) than pixel-intensive
                    - typically purchased as HW/OS/application packages then used as-is for several years other than security updates
                    - generally using enterprise distros with "mature" (we don't like to say "old" ) kernel & X revisions

Comment

AFAIK the key criteria are still :

- generally running a small number of specific 3D CAD/CAE applications
                      - customers require application vendor certification
                      - workload is more vertex-intensive (eg wireframe modelling) than pixel-intensive
                      - typically purchased as HW/OS/application packages then used as-is for several years other than security updates
                      - generally using enterprise distros with "mature" (we don't like to say "old" ) kernel & X revisions

That's mean AMD is confident that radeon driver will be there for every hardware release? (So Catalyst is not also for fresh new hardware?)

Comment

Would have been nice to see also how the latest stable Ubuntu 13.10 performs, since most will be using that. I suppose one could install the same kernel as 14.04 but other packages wouldn't be updated so who knows if one would get the same performance. I'm guessing not.

Comment

@Przmeoli, I belive Bringman said:
                          newest HW - yes, but they need some more time for that (stability)
                          bleeding-edge distros - ofc not. They didn't update legacy driver to work witn new X&kernel for years and now i understand why.
                          linux gamers - they just don't care.

but it's ok. I've used oss driver since kernel-only support, no even radeonsi in mesa etc (because catalyst gives me too much trouble with stability). Now we have uvd, dpm, quite good performance, no tearing, audio, some opnecl actions, all opengl 3.1 stuff, and if you have problem devs who will talk with you.

and i'am not foss fanboy or so, i still keep mswin as second option in my boot menu for few games, and yes I live on mesa/kernel/X git-tree for over year

Happy new year for all of you.

Comment

I tried the latest stable kernel 3.12.6 and mesa (oibaf ppa) on my 7660D (A10-5800K) and performance is much better than it used to be but still nowhere close to the latest stable binary blob (13.12) in Source engine titles (Dota 2, L4D2, CS: Source, etc.) Also, Metro: Last Light won't even start and Serious Sam BFE performs much worse. I'm trying all these titles at 1080p--they're unplayable unless the resolution is dropped to around 720p.

For my next system I won't think about AMD for graphics. I've been waiting around for a year now hoping that they'd do something about their awful opengl performance.

Comment

i am currious if gallium3d tgsi can be a competition to mantle
                              if yes and intell and nvidia will pick it up we may see increased development speed regarding opengl as intel would probably switch to gallium3d

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                                For my next system I won't think about AMD for graphics. I've been waiting around for a year now hoping that they'd do something about their awful opengl performance.
                                They don't?
                                http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...m3d_2013&num=2

Comment

Working...
                                X