Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI / GLAMOR Support Still M.I.A. From Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RadeonSI / GLAMOR Support Still M.I.A. From Ubuntu 13.10

    Phoronix: RadeonSI / GLAMOR Support Still M.I.A. From Ubuntu 13.10

    The AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards launched in December of 2011, but even nearly two years later while there has been open-source Linux graphics driver code available for months, Ubuntu Linux still doesn't have out-of-the-box support for these new AMD Radeon graphics cards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2MDA

  • #2
    Wayland

    Thanks for the info.

    At least we can get hardware acceleration on hd7000 without GLAMOR if we use Wayland (because there's no need of DDX).
    But we'll need it for XWayland. I wonder if the DDX works well with GLAMOR and XWayland.
    Last edited by mannerov; 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      WIP

      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: RadeonSI / GLAMOR Support Still M.I.A. From Ubuntu 13.10

      The AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards launched in December of 2011, but even nearly two years later while there has been open-source Linux graphics driver code available for months, Ubuntu Linux still doesn't have out-of-the-box support for these new AMD Radeon graphics cards...

      http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2MDA
      because the package is waiting in NEW

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        Thanks for the info.
        At least we can get hardware acceleration on hd7000 without GLAMOR if we use Wayland (because there's no need of DDX).
        But we'll need it for XWayland. I wonder if the DDX works well with GLAMOR and XWayland.
        Wayland won't support real 2D hardware acceleration AFAIK. Application with Wayland will probably use only slow rendering using OpenGL or software rasterizer which will hog CPU.

        Comment


        • #5
          WIP

          glamor-egl has been on the NEW queue for two weeks..

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're looking for a Linux distribution with the best open-source Radeon Southern Islands support, I would recommend trying out Fedora 19 or the latest development packages for Fedora 20. Red Hat has been shipping RadeonSI support in Fedora for months.
            As an FYI, since ~end of July, its also available to openSUSE now too (you will have to add the appropriate Xorg/Mesa repo) ... or use Factory or a 13.1RC, or wait a couple of months for 13.1 proper.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              Wayland won't support real 2D hardware acceleration AFAIK. Application with Wayland will probably use only slow rendering using OpenGL or software rasterizer which will hog CPU.
              Wayland doesn't need DDX because it uses a special extension to import surfaces (what clients send) as textures (usable to draw something). You only use 3D acceleration, which is better than 2D.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                You only use 3D acceleration, which is better than 2D.
                Nope, for anything that has actual 2D hardware, 2D beats 3D-engine-used-for-2D. Radeons and Geforces haven't had such hw in generations, but most mobile chips do, for obvious reasons.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Nope, for anything that has actual 2D hardware, 2D beats 3D-engine-used-for-2D. Radeons and Geforces haven't had such hw in generations, but most mobile chips do, for obvious reasons.
                  Weston can use sprites optimizations.
                  It is disabled by default for the drm-backend, because it is buggy on PC, but specific backends for mobile devices can use them.
                  The rpi is faster on Weston than on X, because it has a specific backend that uses these optimizations.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                    You only use 3D acceleration, which is better than 2D.
                    There are Direct2D / DirectWrite and Direct3D on Windows. Firefox and IE are using Direct2D / DirectWrite and would use only Direct3D if Direct2D is unnecessary.
                    Last edited by JS987; 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X