Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Fusion Linux Gallium3D Performance Has Improved A Lot

Phoronix: AMD Fusion Linux Gallium3D Performance Has Improved A Lot

The performance of the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver for AMD Fusion APUs has improved a lot, but the Gallium3D driver performance still isn't yet on par with the AMD Catalyst binary driver. In this article are a variety of tests from an AMD APU including with the Linux 3.11 dynamic power management support, Mesa Git, and when using the R600 SB shader optimization back-end.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish noveau drivers where that good...

Comment

Nice, although I really would have liked to see a power consumption graph as well...

Comment

Nice, although I really would have liked to see a power consumption graph as well...
        Open source DPM would be the same as Catalyst if previous tests are any indication. Without the DPM, power consumption would be allot higher.

Comment

The last chart suggest something is seriously wrong in the gallium driver, if fixed could boost all other benchmarks.

Comment

Question for Bridgeman:

Question for Bridgeman:

Kaveri APUs and later, will have a unified ram architecture. They will also include a GCN gpu core, and iirc GCN has hardware shader scheduling(i may be wrong on this though). I believe memory management and shader scheduling are those difficult tasks to optimise for opensource devs. Does it mean that opensource drivers will need less optimizations in order to have similar performance to Catalyst on newer APUs?

Comment

Very clear colors on this one. Seems some of the color changes got through.

Comment

I admit I was hoping and expecting to see better results, but it's still nice to see steadily improving performance with additional features. Still exciting to think about how one day AMD will have the best open source graphics solution. When you think about it, they're almost doing better than intel when you consider intel's GPUs are incredibly simple in comparison.

Comment

best?

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I admit I was hoping and expecting to see better results, but it's still nice to see steadily improving performance with additional features. Still exciting to think about how one day AMD will have the best open source graphics solution. When you think about it, they're almost doing better than intel when you consider intel's GPUs are incredibly simple in comparison.

only if is the same level of fglrx, without stable dpm and "mesa 10" (opengl 3.3) it?s not possible

Comment

Why is openarena 0.8.8 so much slower than 0.8.5 (even at a lower resolution)?

Comment

Working...
                    X