Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

    Phoronix: Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

    Just days after the first release candidate of the Linux 3.11 kernel, additional user testing of the new Radeon dynamic power management support has revealed more bugs in the open-source driver. Fortunately, there's already another pull request for Linux 3.11 to take care of some more Radeon "DPM" issues...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxMzM

  • #2
    Thanks to Alex Deucher for his great work, finally DPM is working correctly on my HD6870.

    Comment


    • #3
      Does this fix the HD6850 brokenness? I've grown tired of testing every push to Alex's repo in the hope that it does...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cmr~ View Post
        Does this fix the HD6850 brokenness? I've grown tired of testing every push to Alex's repo in the hope that it does...
        It's been working fine depending on what compiler you are using. gcc 4.8 seems to produce broken code for one of the functions in the driver. It's fixed now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          It's been working fine depending on what compiler you are using. gcc 4.8 seems to produce broken code for one of the functions in the driver. It's fixed now.
          GCC got fixed (ergo you need to wait for a GCC point release / compile GCC yourself) or you worked around whatever the issue with GCC is, within the function (ergo you need need to just compile your latest branch)?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            GCC got fixed (ergo you need to wait for a GCC point release / compile GCC yourself) or you worked around whatever the issue with GCC is, within the function (ergo you need need to just compile your latest branch)?
            From reading the dri-devel list messages, it looks like they worked around the GCC breakage.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              From reading the dri-devel list messages, it looks like they worked around the GCC breakage.
              Thank you Veerappan Just need to know what I'm actually compiling haha

              Comment


              • #8
                We just restructured the code to make gcc generate a working binary.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a notebook with intel 4000 / HD7970M "Enduro" and with the kernel from your repo with dpm I always get an immediate complete system lockup when trying to disable the radeon gpu with vgaswitcheroo.
                  I just tried 3.11-rc1 without dpm and even there I get complete lockups when trying to disable the radeon gpu with vgaswitcheroo.

                  I know that vgaswitcheroo is "bad", but until dave airlie's patches for powering off the discrete gpu that I can't even find with google anymore are mainline, this is the only possibility to not be tortured by a loud fan noise all the time (With a build of your kernel from monday, 15.07, my fan runs all the time with
                  "uvd vclk: 0 dclk: 0
                  power level 0 sclk: 30000 mclk: 15000 vddc: 825 vddci: 850 pcie gen: 3"
                  compared to it running most of the time in earlier builds).

                  Can some of you look at this or do I need to make a proper bug report?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    It's been working fine depending on what compiler you are using. gcc 4.8 seems to produce broken code for one of the functions in the driver. It's fixed now.
                    Yup, works great now! I was indeed using gcc 4.8. Thanks bunches.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X