Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Power Management Gets More Fixes For 3.11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I just compiled the RC-2 and it is still not working here on a RV635/HD3650 even with the radeon.aspm=0 parameter. Systematically hangs at boot with dpm enabled.
    Last edited by Scias; 07-21-2013, 11:46 PM.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Scias View Post
      I just compiled the RC-2 and it is still not working here on a RV635/HD3650 even with the radeon.aspm=0 parameter. Systematically hangs at boot with dpm enabled.
      Thousand times this. A white snowy like screen appears and it gets whiter and whiter. The system never loads.
      Could you fix it adg5?

      Or do you have a fix available that we could test?

      Comment


      • #23
        3.11 RC2 here with radeon.dpm=1: my E-450 laptop hangs at suspending / resuming (sometimes at suspending, sometimes at resuming). Please, check the resume/suspend code.

        However, I'll leave 3.11 RC2 installed, since it gives me the same battery life of Catalyst, and I also got that bug with Catalyst (it's a bug in the original AMD code). If you know how can I get logs of suspending / resuming, please, tell me.

        BTW, all Fedora users, please, test again: there is a Mesa-9.2-git_snapshot_from_yesterday package set in Koji; that package includes the Radeon 2D performance boosts published on Phoronix.

        Comment


        • #24
          I tried the latest kernel from Alex's fork quickly for the most simplest things for my Intel 4000 + HD 7970M again.

          Booting with dpm=1 works okay.
          rmmod radeon worked.
          modprobe radeon dpm=1 took several seconds and something in the UVD initialization went wrong. Doesn't really matter, it worked and I won't use the UVD anyway.
          rmmod radeon got me a complete system lockup. In the past rmmod radeon did always lockup the first time.
          In previous versions I tried vgaswitcheroo and always got a compete lockup too.
          Come on, AMD that is the top of the line mobile gpu from you. I understand if radeonsi rendering is not good yet. But system lockup when trying to power save or reloading the driver? Come on!

          On the other hand I get complete lockups too on the intel driver on the latest stable kernel too. It's not even hard to reproduce. Play half life 2 deatmatch for a few hours and you have a very good chance that your system locks up.

          I want my 2008 linux back that didn't lock up all the time. :/

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            3.11 RC2 here with radeon.dpm=1: my E-450 laptop hangs at suspending / resuming (sometimes at suspending, sometimes at resuming). Please, check the resume/suspend code.

            However, I'll leave 3.11 RC2 installed, since it gives me the same battery life of Catalyst, and I also got that bug with Catalyst (it's a bug in the original AMD code). If you know how can I get logs of suspending / resuming, please, tell me
            I can confirm Suspend/Resuming not working on my E-350, but it worked with Catalyst.

            Comment


            • #26
              So basically this 3.11 dpm feature was only a usual Phoronix exaggeration?
              It seems like a half-done alpha code of some sort, nothing complete.

              (I'm glad it didn't kill my gpu.)

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                So basically this 3.11 dpm feature was only a usual Phoronix exaggeration?
                This is the initial release of the code and it's disabled by default as there are bound to be bugs until it gets further testing outside of the cards I used to write it. So it's available to those that want to play with it and when it's ready, it will be enabled by default.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                  So basically this 3.11 dpm feature was only a usual Phoronix exaggeration?
                  It seems like a half-done alpha code of some sort, nothing complete.

                  (I'm glad it didn't kill my gpu.)
                  You...are a really pathetic troll. Of course the code was going to have bugs in it, the feature is also disabled by default in 3.11 to make sure that end users dont become testers. The only ones who are going to be using this code are the ones who understand the fact that it not considered stable and may not work properly for all GPU's.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    This is the initial release of the code and it's disabled by default as there are bound to be bugs until it gets further testing outside of the cards I used to write it. So it's available to those that want to play with it and when it's ready, it will be enabled by default.
                    I didn't blame you or anything like that.
                    Phoronix tends to do exaggerate (like always). "New feature, wowz, year of the linux desktop awesome #omg"

                    It's false advertisement, but not by you.
                    Thanks for your hard work, I'll keep an eye on your drm repo and the mainline kernel as well. (Hope I will be able to help.)

                    @Eric: See my reply.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                      I didn't blame you or anything like that.
                      Phoronix tends to do exaggerate (like always). "New feature, wowz, year of the linux desktop awesome #omg"

                      It's false advertisement, but not by you.
                      Thanks for your hard work, I'll keep an eye on your drm repo and the mainline kernel as well. (Hope I will be able to help.)

                      @Eric: See my reply.
                      I don't really see how even Michael exaggerated it. The feature is in mainline, that means its available for easy testing. It IS an available feature, its an incredible feature. It just doesnt have all the kinks worked out yet.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X