Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon DRM: Dynamic Power Management Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    We shouldn't have the same level of hurdles for future asics. The IP review process was mainly targeted at assessing the risk of exposing the high level IP, e.g., UVD in general or DPM in general.

    DPM uses special hardware on the GPU that was designed to synchronize with properly with other hardware blocks if programmed properly. With the previous dynpm code, the driver was responsible for trying to manage that itself. The previous code could probably have been better tuned (e.g., to split state changes up across multiple vblanks if necessary, etc.), but there wasn't much motivation since the hardware has specific capabilities to handled this for you.
    Awesome Thanks for the updates and info. Again, work is much appreciated and wish ya the best!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mudig View Post
      Umm, are you sure you're actually using the new DPM code (kernel parameter radeon.dpm=1)? dynpm is the old and useless way of doing things, dpm is the new awesome one.
      Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      I think you may be using the old dynpm code. To enable the new DPM code, set the radeon dpm module parameter to 1. E.g., add radeon.dpm=1 to the kernel command line in grub.
      I double-checked my grub.conf

      and the (now removed) line indeed was radeon.dpm=1

      not sure what I did wrong


      guess I'll give it another try in a few days

      http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/l...=drm-next-3.11 so the branch drm-next-3.11 is the recommended kernel right now ?


      the thing is: I used drm-next-3.11 and before that afaik drm-next-3.11-wip mentioned in http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/040436.html which gave me much more silent and cooler operation (almost perfect)

      the only issue was that suspend-to-ram wasn't working but due to the fact that it's wip it's no issue right now


      thanks !
      Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Will this support also come to older graphics cards, those that were released before the R600 series? My desktop computers are going to love this, but both of my laptops either have R200 or R500 cards in them and they need this dynamic power management support far more. The old static PM was actually more than acceptable on my desktop, but the laptops need all the heat and power saving they can get. Still, congratulations on defying so many expectations by coming this far.

        Comment


        • #19
          AFAIK the rv610/630 and rs780 were the first with any kind of DPM hardware, so older chips (r600 and earlier) rely on the driver for all power management.

          Comment


          • #20
            For laptops, does the zerocore technology rely on this hardware power gestion? (In other words, is zerocore supported by the new power management?)

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              add radeon.dpm=1 to the kernel command line in grub.
              Out of curiosity is there an alternative way of enabling it?? My setup is a bit weird and passing command line arguments is a bit of a pain.

              Comment


              • #22
                The initial drm-next-3.11-wip made all graphics much slower here but now with drm-next-3.11 it seems to be working great!
                Radeon 6850.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  AFAIK the rv610/630 and rs780 were the first with any kind of DPM hardware, so older chips (r600 and earlier) rely on the driver for all power management.
                  Ahh, that might explain things. I have a rv670 card. Do you know if DPM is available for that specific ASIC?
                  The firmware available for it dates back to 2009 (r600). I thought that I could not use DPM due to a missing updated firmware, but the problem might be deeper (the card having no DPM hardware).

                  Thanks in advance.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                    I double-checked my grub.conf

                    and the (now removed) line indeed was radeon.dpm=1

                    not sure what I did wrong


                    guess I'll give it another try in a few days

                    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/l...=drm-next-3.11 so the branch drm-next-3.11 is the recommended kernel right now ?


                    the thing is: I used drm-next-3.11 and before that afaik drm-next-3.11-wip mentioned in http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/040436.html which gave me much more silent and cooler operation (almost perfect)

                    the only issue was that suspend-to-ram wasn't working but due to the fact that it's wip it's no issue right now


                    thanks !


                    this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/l...b1aee212922ade

                    and the following commits look like they make things perfect

                    will update the kernel to that state

                    thanks a ton for adding those !

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                      this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/l...b1aee212922ade

                      and the following commits look like they make things perfect

                      will update the kernel to that state

                      thanks a ton for adding those !

                      d'oh !

                      obviously I didn't read your latest blog entry: http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=57

                      and the news http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQwNDc


                      Mea maxima culpa

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Stunts View Post
                        Ahh, that might explain things. I have a rv670 card. Do you know if DPM is available for that specific ASIC? The firmware available for it dates back to 2009 (r600). I thought that I could not use DPM due to a missing updated firmware, but the problem might be deeper (the card having no DPM hardware).
                        AFAIK the rv670 does have DPM support but does not require additional microcode.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Stunts View Post
                          Ahh, that might explain things. I have a rv670 card. Do you know if DPM is available for that specific ASIC?
                          The firmware available for it dates back to 2009 (r600). I thought that I could not use DPM due to a missing updated firmware, but the problem might be deeper (the card having no DPM hardware).

                          Thanks in advance.
                          I can't tell what DPM does on my RV670. It claims that it initializes (and doesn't show any errors) and I can read the debugfs information, but it idles at 84C. With dynpm/fglrx/windows it idles at high 50s~low60s.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            AFAIK the rv670 does have DPM support but does not require additional microcode.
                            Thanks!
                            I'll trying this out again soon and report back.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                              Out of curiosity is there an alternative way of enabling it?? My setup is a bit weird and passing command line arguments is a bit of a pain.
                              If you built radeon as module, then that option can be added to /etc/modprobe.d/ (or some distro specific location). Otherwise, you can set in your kernel config,
                              Code:
                              CONFIG_CMDLINE="radeon.dpm=1"

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Stunts View Post
                                Thanks!
                                I'll trying this out again soon and report back.
                                Just tested with the latest work... Still the same issue. Machine freezes with a white screen when it was supposed be modesetting.
                                If I remove "radeon.dpm=1" from the kernel command line, everything works (but no DPM).
                                The crash ocurrs so early during the boot process that nothing gets logged at all in journalctl. It's like the boot never happened...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X