Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

    Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

    The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5ODA

  • #2
    I don't see any substantially new information in this article. The title is misleading, it suggests that the new code has been tested and verified to be "fantastic" when in fact it's just repeating that the code has dropped.

    Comment


    • #3
      Indeed. I was actually expecting some kind of benchmark.
      Anyway, I am looking forward to 3.11

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

        The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5ODA
        That will be very nice.

        Comment


        • #5
          The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by newwen View Post
            The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,
            It would be great news, if it actually would work. For now, I am still stuck with an overheating laptop and manual powersaving, since the new dpm driver always runs my machine in performance mode. This is something that is to be expected, since this code is largely untested and of course will have problems.
            Have to wait for answer to that problem from a developer in the original thread about this topic, then we will see how great this is.

            Comment


            • #7
              165 patches consisting of more than 52 thousand lines of code, just in the drm/radeon subsystem. Linus is going to have a heart attack when he sees that

              Comment


              • #8
                R300

                Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by arianon View Post
                  Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?
                  I don't think so. The announcement said r600 and up.

                  I wouldn't be surprised if they had something cooking internally, though, just like they do with older UVD chips. So far, AMD have been good about trying to support the whole range of hardware.

                  Perhaps it's not fully ready yet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    dynamic memory clock scaling
                    Even with an external monitor?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      I don't think so. The announcement said r600 and up.

                      I wouldn't be surprised if they had something cooking internally, though, just like they do with older UVD chips. So far, AMD have been good about trying to support the whole range of hardware.

                      Perhaps it's not fully ready yet.
                      More likely its delayed by legal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think there is any unused PM hardware in pre-r600 chips. AFAIK everything was driver-controlled in those generations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                          It would be great news, if it actually would work. For now, I am still stuck with an overheating laptop and manual powersaving, since the new dpm driver always runs my machine in performance mode. This is something that is to be expected, since this code is largely untested and of course will have problems.
                          Have to wait for answer to that problem from a developer in the original thread about this topic, then we will see how great this is.
                          How do you determine that it always runs in "performance" mode and what do you mean by that exactly? Reading /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state will always report performance, and that is perfectly normal. Have you done actual power (and/or temperature) measurements? Even if DPM doesn't change frequencies and voltages in your case for some reason, clock gating should make a big difference.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                            165 patches consisting of more than 52 thousand lines of code, just in the drm/radeon subsystem. Linus is going to have a heart attack when he sees that
                            I don't think he cares that much about driver code, especially since this is adding new hardware support. As long as it comes in during the merge window, and not for rc6.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by arianon View Post
                              Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?
                              The older cards had much less pm capabilities in their hardware, so while i'm sure some things can be done it is a lot less of an impact than with the newer cards.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X