Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

    Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

    Are you itching to try out open-source AMD Radeon "UVD" video acceleration support over VDPAU on Fedora Linux?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2NTE

  • #2
    So, which system with supported GPUs is too slow for CPUs to handle the videos?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      So, which system with supported GPUs is too slow for CPUs to handle the videos?
      Its more a question of watt efficiency. Ive underclocked and undervolted my cpu so its passively cooled and silent for HTPC use, and I imagine laptop users are pretty happy with this also...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by crispy View Post
        Its more a question of watt efficiency. Ive underclocked and undervolted my cpu so its passively cooled and silent for HTPC use, and I imagine laptop users are pretty happy with this also...
        If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
          If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.
          Heat vents blocked? Fan not working? I've had a mid range radeon HD 4xxx series card powered by the open source driver for along time. Fan kicks in when its not in sleep mode or totally idle, but it doesnt overheat

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Heat vents blocked? Fan not working? I've had a mid range radeon HD 4xxx series card powered by the open source driver for along time. Fan kicks in when its not in sleep mode or totally idle, but it doesnt overheat
            It's possible, it doesn't over heat with fglrx though so I'm assuming no.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
              If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.
              Yeah that's the #1 reason I have to stick to the proprietary drivers on my desktop and notebook systems. Although I think bridgman said they have something in the pipeline, held back by legal reviews as usual.

              Comment


              • #8
                And now a manual for both radeonsi and uvd. I guess we'll just have to wait.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Yeah that's the #1 reason I have to stick to the proprietary drivers on my desktop and notebook systems. Although I think bridgman said they have something in the pipeline, held back by legal reviews as usual.
                  If I remember right... the code's been written, the documentation has been sanitized, its just sitting on legal's desk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    So, which system with supported GPUs is too slow for CPUs to handle the videos?
                    Hardware acceleration is the difference between being able to watch hd movies on lower power apus or not. My brazos system simply cannot handle 720p movies via software decoding, while via uvd even 1080p is a breeze. Obviously i'm still tied to frglx due to lack of dynamic power management though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      So, which system with supported GPUs is too slow for CPUs to handle the videos?
                      Its more an issue of efficiency, the UVD can rip through video in a fraction of the time that a Shader could do it. Also ARM devices would suck up more power (which defeats the purpose of having ARM). What this comes down to is "We have this dedicated hardware for a reason. Lets use it, and reap the benefits OF using it."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                        Hardware acceleration is the difference between being able to watch hd movies on lower power apus or not. My brazos system simply cannot handle 720p movies via software decoding, while via uvd even 1080p is a breeze.
                        How bad are these things? My laptop is 5 years old. Core2 Duo CPU. Software decoding of a 720p clip uses roughly 30% of the CPU.
                        My original intention with my comment was that getting VDPAU to work seems too complicated that it would be worth the effort until the patch lands in Linux distributions. Living with 30% CPU usage for a few more months seemed OK but if AMD APUs are really this bad, I can understand why everybody is so eager to get this to work.
                        Too bad compiling this stuff will take ages on those things…

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                          If I remember right... the code's been written, the documentation has been sanitized, its just sitting on legal's desk
                          For the lebenty-millionth time, it's primarily a technical review not a legal review.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            For the lebenty-millionth time, it's primarily a technical review not a legal review.
                            Why would an engineer care if info is released publicly? That makes no sense. Even if it's an engineer doing the work, it's obviously a legal review.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                              Why would an engineer care if info is released publicly? That makes no sense. Even if it's an engineer doing the work, it's obviously a legal review.
                              Legal, for the most part, is not that familiar with the hardware details and what risks they may pose. Once again, it's a technical risk review of releasing the IP. Is any of the information related to patent applications that may be in flight. Is any of the information licensed from 3rd parties where we may need some else's permission of release the information. Would the information put AMD at risk for with respect to contractual agreements with other companies. Would the information put our ability to sell into the windows market at risk, etc. Legal is involved to a certain extent, but it mostly comes down to software and hardware architects who are more familiar with the low level details of the hardware and software stacks across OSes and what risks they may pose. Unfortunately, those software and hardware architects are very busy and a complex technical risk review takes time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X