Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitcoin Mining Comes To Radeon Open-Source OpenCL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bitcoin Mining Comes To Radeon Open-Source OpenCL

    Phoronix: Bitcoin Mining Comes To Radeon Open-Source OpenCL

    With the increasing popularity as of late with the Bitcoin virtual currency, the open-source Radeon Gallium3D OpenCL stack has advanced to support Bitcoin mining...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0ODY

  • #2
    Very nice, ich hope he take a look next at the x264 openCL Kernel for the lookahead.

    Comment


    • #3
      Anyone still interested in the bitcoin bubble?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
        Anyone still interested in the bitcoin bubble?
        There is a new Bitcoin-Podcast by the LinuxActionShow guys, so yes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
          There is a new Bitcoin-Podcast by the LinuxActionShow guys, so yes.
          The guys over at LinuxActionShow must not be very competent in macroeconomics.
          Bitcoin is an interesting geeky project but economically is a bubble, a pyramid scheme, and that's too complicated to explain here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Poor Tom, bitcoins are now worthless (again).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Poor Tom, bitcoins are now worthless (again).
              Not really worthless, its sitting at $140. Its a market correction for the fact its been climbing up to $260 gradually for the last few months.

              And as far as it being a pyramid scheme...eeeh idk about that. Its more of a commodity than anything else. Its less of a currency and more of a single option stock market lol

              Comment


              • #8
                The nice thing about Linux is that you can run whatever you want. So if you want to mine bitcoins, great. If you think that bitcoins are a waste of electricity, awesome. Linux now accomodates both of you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bitcoins aside, it's good to hear about real applications working on Clover + r600g. It's always nice for a developer to have a goal other than "Make everything work, everywhere". Focusing on single applications, getting them to work, and then moving on to the next application gives you much smaller milestones to use to guide and check your progress... And once you've got a few applications working, the next application gets easier (or might even work out of the box).

                  It's also nice to get a shout-out for the rotate implementation (however slow it might be).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Bitcoins aside, it's good to hear about real applications working on Clover + r600g.
                    That's it!

                    Who cares about bitcoins, but it's a real app, and it works, which means we're getting closer. Once most things work, it's time to start optimising.

                    Since the back-end is provided by the LLVM suite and does not have to be hand-optimised by one or two driver developers like GLSL, I'm hoping the performance improves at a decent pace.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It'll be interesting to see how this performs on GCN in the future, where optimizing for VLIW won't be part of the performance equation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bitcoin is NOT a ponzi scheme like the Dollar or the Euro because there's a finite number of them that can ever exist. Central banks can go on a printing spree like the Weimar Republic. The Bitcoin Foundation can't. They also can't just reach into your Bitcoin wallet and take money like they can from your bank account (think Cyprus.) The dream is that more and more firms start accpting payment in Bitcoin and that one day we'll be able to buy everything at the store with Bitcoins using a debit card or similar. It would also forever end the state control over money. The bubble component of Bitcoin was mainly due to Cyprus and is over with now. In case anyone's wondering, not having enough Bitcoins will never be an issue because you can transat with up to many decimal points.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                          Bitcoin is NOT a ponzi scheme like the Dollar or the Euro because there's a finite number of them that can ever exist. Central banks can go on a printing spree like the Weimar Republic. The Bitcoin Foundation can't. They also can't just reach into your Bitcoin wallet and take money like they can from your bank account (think Cyprus.) The dream is that more and more firms start accpting payment in Bitcoin and that one day we'll be able to buy everything at the store with Bitcoins using a debit card or similar. It would also forever end the state control over money. The bubble component of Bitcoin was mainly due to Cyprus and is over with now. In case anyone's wondering, not having enough Bitcoins will never be an issue because you can transat with up to many decimal points.
                          While I*agree that bitcoin is in fact less of a pyramid/ponzi scheme than “normal” currencies, it still has a very unfair distribution (early entrants may have thousands of btc just because they did it first, while new miners may never get a full bitcoin), and I think the limit of 21M btc is a problem, even if they can be divided up to 8 decimals (21M * 10^8 / 7G people on Earth = 300k units per person, which would be the equivalent of people only having $3k on average… Well it might be close to reality or even better… But doesn’t leave much room IMO.) Also lost bitcoins are never recovered.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            1) Central banks print money to account for the expansion of the economy the money serve. Not so easy with a finite amount of currency.
                            2) A ponzi scheme is a scheme where early adopters rely on new entrants in the scheme to generate money. I don't see how you can consider the dollar to be a ponzi scheme. But clearly given the percentage of bitcoins owned by early adopters, and how the value per bitcoin grows with new adopters (because the amount of bitcoins doesn't scale, see 1), it can easily be considered as a Ponzi scheme.
                            3) Economics 101 might help some of the posters understand why we use money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercoh...gies-solutions

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X