Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Support For AMD "Richland" APUs

Phoronix: Open-Source Support For AMD "Richland" APUs

It looks like there will be open-source Linux driver support from launch-day for AMD's forthcoming "Richland" Fusion APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Won't be launch-day support

Won't be launch-day support, because it wont work on the upcoming Ubuntu 13.04.
    So we'll have to wait until Ubuntu 13.10.

Intel on the other hand, already has pushed Haswell patches long time ago, so when Haswell is coming, it will really have launch-day support for real.

Comment

AMD's Richland APU is expected to be released in the next month or two...
      They have already been released. Model numbers are A10-5750M, A8-5550M, A6-5350M and A4-5150M. They contain Radeon HD 8650G, Radeon HD 8550G, Radeon HD 8450G and Radeon HD 8350G graphics respectively. Further specs and info about performance increases and battery life is available at http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2013mar12.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
        They have already been released. Model numbers are A10-5750M, A8-5550M, A6-5350M and A4-5150M. They contain Radeon HD 8650G, Radeon HD 8550G, Radeon HD 8450G and Radeon HD 8350G graphics respectively. Further specs and info about performance increases and battery life is available at http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2013mar12.aspx
        That's the mobile versions for notebooks,etc....not the socket versions that would be used in mini-itx and other mobos...

Comment

More information has been revealed regarding the launch dates of AMDs upcoming APUs and CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            That's the mobile versions for notebooks,etc....not the socket versions that would be used in mini-itx and other mobos...
            What's wrong with a notebook?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Won't be launch-day support, because it wont work on the upcoming Ubuntu 13.04.
              So we'll have to wait until Ubuntu 13.10.
              It's hardware launch-day, not Ubuntu launch day.

If you are running Ubuntu, you have several options on launch day:

- install drivers from Ubuntu's repository using apt
              - install drivers from source
              - use a distro which does provide this out of the box

In any case, you will have launch-day support if you want it.

Comment

Nothing per se....i myself had two (1st was a Toshiba many many years ago and second was a Fujitsu-Siemens)...they are great as portability and still running regular programs...

The thing is, they are crap to upgrade, DIY repairs,etc.

In the end i lost interest not only in notebooks but i also didn't bought the tablet hype...

I prefer to have a very very low power (thing) mini-itx rig w/o DVD drive and only one SSD with sub-d and HDMI connectors (besides all the usual connectors)....

It's as portable and i don't do work in a bus, airplane, boat, train or car anyway...forever i go , there will be some sort of monitor and a keyboard and mouse waiting for me and my rig

Even at home i only now use mini-itx rigs in very small cases (21x22x7 at max if i use a DVD in it)

Comment

HD8000 my a**. This is HD6000 aka. Cayman GPU.
                  I personally have big expectations for SI, since it uses GCN which is somewhat more easy to be optimized.
                  I will skip Richland, and will wait for Kaveri.

Comment

- worse performance/price
                    - nerfed CPUs/GPUs (can a GTX 680M beat a GTX 660? Nope.)
                    - noname parts everywhere
                    - less repairability
                    - screens... *vomits a frame pointer*
                    - keyboard sucks, often
                    - 5400 rpm HDDs when there is no SSD (except in high-end laptops)

Building your own desktop also allows you to get a computer without pre-installed Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X