Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

Phoronix: AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

While AMD has yet to officially introduce their Radeon HD 8000 series, published today was the initial open-source Linux graphics driver support for handling the Radeon HD 8800 "Oland" graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Article
    Basic OpenGL demos will run on the HD 7000 series hardware, but not much more and the Radeon HD 4000/5000/6000 series is in much better shape
    I seem to recall one of the developers commenting in the forums that Quake3 based games were already working and the like. Was I mistaken or is Larabel not quite up to date on the status of RadeonSI?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Article View Post
      There's also the overall limitations of the open-source AMD Linux stack of no support past OpenGL 3.0 yet, OpenCL is still a work-in-progress, there isn't Unified Video Decoder support, and other features are missing or still in early stages of development.
      r600g reports OpenGL 3.1 if you invoke glxinfo with the -c argument. I believe that this requires a fairly recent copy of mesa-utils.

From what I understand, r600g (and possibly intel) only supports GL 3.1 for core contexts, not the compatibility/legacy profile.

Also, do you have any plans to do additional Radeon Southern Islands (HD7700-7900) tests before the Sea Islands stuff is out? Last I had heard was that SI is capable of running several/many full games and that the support was maturing somewhat. I don't have one of these cards, but I may buy one sometime soon for the power savings that they can offer over the Radeon 6850 I'm using now and the possible improvements in performance (moving away from the VLIW architecture might help).

Edit: Slightly beaten to the punch by Hamish.

Comment

i really wish they'd just fix the HD7000 support.

Comment

radeonsi support coming along nicely. Desktop effects and a lot of games are working well. I don't know why Michael keeps saying it's a mess.

Comment

IIRC correctly, SI still doesn't work with xserver 1.13, right? Or was it glamor only? I thought that this was a major showstopper for many people to try it out.

Comment

The kernel patches for Oland are in my drm-next-3.9-wip branch. Also, considering that Oland hardware isn't available yet, the open source driver has Oland support prior to hardware availability. I don't see any reason why distros wouldn't pick this up considering spring distros are still several months out.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                radeonsi support coming along nicely. Desktop effects and a lot of games are working well. I don't know why Michael keeps saying it's a mess.
                There you are. Straight from the horse's mouth, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Mesa-git (9.1?) or a Work-In-Progress branch? Like when 9.1 hits will it be fairly usable or do you mean that a developer has good, working, support in a separate branch and we're looking at 9.2/10.0?
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I'm guessing if it doesn't work Ubuntu, Michael

will call it a mess. That or he just doesn't know how to compile it with the external llvm driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X