Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Does 2d on glamor still tear?
    Yes. BTW, EXA also tears without Option "EXAVsync", but it's less annoying there because the tearing is only horizontal, not also diagonal. The best chance for a tear-free desktop would be using an OpenGL compositor, though unfortunately the current ones tend to use glXCopySubBufferMESA instead of always rendering full frames, which is still prone to tearing.

Comment

@MrCooper

Are there plans to change that? Forcing everyone onto a compositor is no solution, and noticable tearing is simply unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Is "3D workstation" only the firegl "professional" graphics cards? Can a notebook with enduro be a workstation too?
        I believe we are selling high-end APUs and high-end laptop chips into the 3D workstation market as well. One of the interesting things that came out of the move to unified shaders is that midrange GPUs can crunch typical workstation loads very quickly with the right driver optimizations.
        The thing is that the enduro thing does not work correctly and I'm not sure if it even should because I did not find any documentation that would tell me at least the version requirements of a supported xf86-video-intel.

This is how it is marketed:
        http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/11/26...attery-life-2/
        AMD Enduro™ technology seamlessly/automatically selects (No manual switching) the best graphics processor for a given application.
        On linux with fglrx/catalyst this functionality does not only not exist, you also have to restart X every time you want to switch and closing all gui programs in the process.

But at least it's usable at all, right? Well, only if you use a single screen. I would believe that people doing serious work™ would often use multiple monitors and if it is only to give a presentation with a projector.

I'm sorry to throw this useless rant at you, I just wanted to say: If I was in a position to choose a notebook with a highend gpu, maybe even only for opencl, I would not see me wanting to buy something like that.

Comment

@MrCooper

Are there plans to change that? Forcing everyone onto a compositor is no solution, and noticable tearing is simply unacceptable.
          Yes, it's called Wayland.

Comment

@MrCooper

Modern hardware expects a compositor or something similar to handle front buffer updates synced to the refresh rate so the methods we used on older asics aren't really an option with SI.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              You're not wrong >_>

Comment

Still, no one had commented what is the performance level of radeonsi vs fglrx...
                Last edited by Drago; 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Modern hardware expects a compositor or something similar to handle front buffer updates synced to the refresh rate
                  You mean glSwapBuffer?

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    They've brought up the r300g driver and r600g is doing well (OpenGL 3.1 going on 3.3), and radeonsi is getting very close. Power management would be very useful, but they're doing the best they can - how can we (the community) ask for more?
                    What can I ask more? Well if I buy a graphic card I excpect it to work at best of its possibility. I can live with some minor problem/lack, but the radeon driver has major lack for my personal point of view. And flgrx is far from being a good solution either given the QA problems it have, to not talk about the stupid AMD legacy policy. I don't ask for 10 years support, but when the dropped <HD 5000 support they just lost a customer, given my GC was less then one year old, which is not legacy. Full stop. Don't want to add new feature? I can live with that, but I can't live without new Xorg and Kernel support.

Comment

Perhaps you missed "forcing everyone to a compositor is no solution". It's ok, it was only like half of my post

Comment

What's the problem with a compositor? Even with X11 the benchmarks for a good driver like the open source radeon driver generally show no drop in any performance...

Comment

Perhaps you missed "forcing everyone to a compositor is no solution". It's ok, it was only like half of my post
                          That's what the console is for.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                            What's the problem with a compositor? Even with X11 the benchmarks for a good driver like the open source radeon driver generally show no drop in any performance...
                            It's an unnecessary layer, therefore always causing a lag of at least one frame compared to not using one.

Being a programmer I don't like unnecessary layers in general - being sensitive to latency I don't like unneeded delays.

To put it in another way: an unnecessary layer that has only downsides to me, I have no use for wobbly windows, shadows, or any other effect of the week.

Comment

That's what the console is for.
                              Sorry, I'm not following you?

me: forcing people to a compositor is no solution
                              you: here's a compositor
                              me: you lack reading comprehension
                              you: use the console

How the heck did step 4 follow from step 3?

Comment

New (real) HD8000 ASICs delayed to Q4/13? O_o

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Rad...000,20979.html

That at least should give AMD the relastic chance for first-day (FOSS) driver support... :/

Comment

Working...
                                X