Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

    Phoronix: AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

    It's been one year since AMD introduced their Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards, but the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for providing an open-source OpenGL driver for this latest-generation of AMD GPUs is still far from being in a readied state for AMD Linux customers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3Njk

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

    It's been one year since AMD introduced their Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards, but the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for providing an open-source OpenGL driver for this latest-generation of AMD GPUs is still far from being in a readied state for AMD Linux customers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3Njk
    I thought that RadeonSI mostly worked (including 3d), and needed testing and bug hunting?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I thought that RadeonSI mostly worked (including 3d), and needed testing and bug hunting?
      It does mostly work already including 3D. The only requirement is a pre-1.13 xserver due to issues with glamor on newer xservers.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000290.html

        ;(

        Comment


        • #5
          From the above link:

          On 01/11/2013 09:53 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
          > On Don, 2012-11-29 at 11:19 +0800, Zhigang Gong wrote:
          >> Junyan has been working on that and got some progress. The major work is in
          >> Xserver side. We decide to use glx(xserver side) to create glamor's context
          >> and don't rely on egl thus we can avoid the conflict with glx's dri loader
          >> and the egl's. Junyan, do you have any update currently? When will you
          >> submit your patchset to xserver?
          agd5f, isnt that counter-productive with Wayland coming (hopefully) soon? GLX is X-specific isnt it? I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)

          If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?

          Or am I reading too far into this and misunderstanding the message?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            It does mostly work already including 3D.
            Are you still sharing the results from piglit runs? If I remember correctly, results for r600/r600g where available somewhere at some point.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              From the above link:



              agd5f, isnt that counter-productive with Wayland coming (hopefully) soon? GLX is X-specific isnt it? I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)

              If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?

              Or am I reading too far into this and misunderstanding the message?
              I think it's just the DDX driver which is using GLX. On Wayland, that won't even be used - it will just run straight off of Mesa.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                It does mostly work already including 3D. The only requirement is a pre-1.13 xserver due to issues with glamor on newer xservers.
                So can it run Quake 3 and composited desktops then? Or is it just in the glxgears state right now?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?
                  I think this is saying that *glamor* depends on GLX. Wayland doesn't need X or glamor, so I think this should be OK.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think this is saying that *glamor* depends on GLX. Wayland doesn't need X or glamor, so I think this should be OK.
                    That's my understanding as well.

                    From what I've learned by building the components myself (for r600), it's like this:
                    R600/SI depend on xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-modesetting as their DDX. xf86-video-ati depends on glamor. glamor depends on glx (or egl?).

                    If you're using wayland, you'll do:
                    R600/SI use Mesa to provide the EGL runtime. EGL is used by Wayland to render. No DDX/glamor required.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X