Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

Phoronix: AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

It's been one year since AMD introduced their Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards, but the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for providing an open-source OpenGL driver for this latest-generation of AMD GPUs is still far from being in a readied state for AMD Linux customers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3Njk

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

It's been one year since AMD introduced their Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards, but the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for providing an open-source OpenGL driver for this latest-generation of AMD GPUs is still far from being in a readied state for AMD Linux customers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3Njk
    I thought that RadeonSI mostly worked (including 3d), and needed testing and bug hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I thought that RadeonSI mostly worked (including 3d), and needed testing and bug hunting?
      It does mostly work already including 3D. The only requirement is a pre-1.13 xserver due to issues with glamor on newer xservers.

Comment

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000290.html

;(

Comment

From the above link:

On 01/11/2013 09:53 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
          > On Don, 2012-11-29 at 11:19 +0800, Zhigang Gong wrote:
          >> Junyan has been working on that and got some progress. The major work is in
          >> Xserver side. We decide to use glx(xserver side) to create glamor's context
          >> and don't rely on egl thus we can avoid the conflict with glx's dri loader
          >> and the egl's. Junyan, do you have any update currently? When will you
          >> submit your patchset to xserver?
          agd5f, isnt that counter-productive with Wayland coming (hopefully) soon? GLX is X-specific isnt it? I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)

If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?

Or am I reading too far into this and misunderstanding the message?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            It does mostly work already including 3D.
            Are you still sharing the results from piglit runs? If I remember correctly, results for r600/r600g where available somewhere at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              From the above link:

agd5f, isnt that counter-productive with Wayland coming (hopefully) soon? GLX is X-specific isnt it? I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)

If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?

Or am I reading too far into this and misunderstanding the message?
              I think it's just the DDX driver which is using GLX. On Wayland, that won't even be used - it will just run straight off of Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                It does mostly work already including 3D. The only requirement is a pre-1.13 xserver due to issues with glamor on newer xservers.
                So can it run Quake 3 and composited desktops then? Or is it just in the glxgears state right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  I think this is saying that *glamor* depends on GLX. Wayland doesn't need X or glamor, so I think this should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think this is saying that *glamor* depends on GLX. Wayland doesn't need X or glamor, so I think this should be OK.
                    That's my understanding as well.

From what I've learned by building the components myself (for r600), it's like this:
                    R600/SI depend on xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-modesetting as their DDX. xf86-video-ati depends on glamor. glamor depends on glx (or egl?).

If you're using wayland, you'll do:
                    R600/SI use Mesa to provide the EGL runtime. EGL is used by Wayland to render. No DDX/glamor required.

Comment

Working...
                    X