Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI Radeon HD 6450 - Good budget card for R600g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    herewego.jpg with the "vote with your wallet" illusion.

Passive cooling is overrated, if you want something quieter, buy an SSD instead of an HDD, use good PSUs... Electricity is cheap too. I bet you use suspend instead of shut down? AMD CPUs and GPUs still use more power and make more noise, again. Their lifespan is also shorter (at least for GPUs).
    You have no idea.
    1st "vote with your wallet" is not an illusion. The GPU and driver type will display in every statistic - for example on upcoming Steam stat.
    Passive cooling is best thing you can do, because it reduces noise, vibrations, EMI and amount of dust pumped through the tower. Still, if one would go for passive cooling, its better to either watercool to huge passive radiator or use an all-Cu case and connect every component to it by means of heatpipes. For machines with lower energy drain, passive is definately better than fan cooling, if its working.

Also, AMD GPUs are much more energy efficient and with larger field of usage than that of Nvidia. Nvidias are strict gaming cards.
    Electricity is cheap my ass, perhaps if you live in Bagamas. In EU the average cost is now 25 eurocent/kWh, three years before it was ~17 eurocent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      How is 1280x1024 for you?
      Very fast. An HD6450 should run Amnesia, Doom3, Quake4 and the like smoothly at that resolution. Not 60fps all the time, but definitely playable. I finished Prey in 1080p but that was a bit too much, and I had some slideshow fights along the way

It will help to get the latest and greatest git stuff for Mesa, kernel and drm and do some tweaking, but you know that already.
      Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 11 January 2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Passive cooling is overrated, if you want something quieter, buy an SSD instead of an HDD, use good PSUs...
        I think that it's best to buy what you need (or expect to need) rather than throwing money at stuff that is then constantly actively cooled at idle 24/7.

Electricity is cheap too. I bet you use suspend instead of shut down? AMD CPUs and GPUs still use more power and make more noise, again. Their lifespan is also shorter (at least for GPUs).
        Electricity is not cheap everywhere, and there's no need to burn coal for no reason. It also depends on your system. I have a multi-seat setup, for example, and this is where you want a good case fan and passive, low-power cards rather than several noisy fans spinning all the time.

I always shut down, and I use a kill switch for all electronics, BTW.

Comment

It is amazing how everything can turn into a flamewar on Phoronix is'int it? What is making this all the more amusing is the video card I am looking at is not even passively cooled in the first place.

Still, thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Just be glad you didn't mention BSD
            Test signature

Comment

It is amazing how everything can turn into a flamewar on Phoronix is'int it? What is making this all the more amusing is the video card I am looking at is not even passively cooled in the first place.
              Oh. I thought all 6450 were passively cooled. Sorry about that.

Comment

Still, thanks for the advice everyone.
                Remember, you can always grab used or out-of-production cheap GPU cooler and make your card passive yourself.
                I have seen huge coolers for ~5$ new, only your garantie may void(depending where they put the sticker) and you should proof-watch temps.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Just be glad you didn't mention BSD
                BSD is ok unless its advocates post false claims.
                For the driver BSD is ideal license if the technology is patented, so that it can be used in variety of OSes without rewrites.
                Last edited by crazycheese; 11 January 2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Electricity is not cheap everywhere
                  It's not true. Where I live electricity cost 0.7RUR/kWh (around 0.017EUR/kWh). I think it's cheap - I'm wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    It's not true. Where I live electricity cost 0.7RUR/kWh (around 0.017EUR/kWh). I think it's cheap - I'm wrong?
                    I don't think you live "everywhere". 2 eurocents are very cheap.
                    Russia produces 80% of electricity via nuclear power plants. Europe decided its dangerous (it is), so they put "ecology tax" on convenient plants and ecological plants had this removed, which skyrocketed the first and lowered the later, but overall it went UP great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      I don't think you live "everywhere".
                      Oh, you are right - my English parser failed.

Comment

Working...
                      X