Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D MSAA Performance (R300g)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No online selection for patches?

Even Debian has their patch tracker :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      No online selection for patches?
      No, AFAIK.

Comment

I noticed with r600g (radeon 5850) that MSAA performance was rather slow (~20fps) when I have my OpenGL window fullscreened, as opposed to just maximizing the window (which is only slightly smaller than fullscreen) which would give me 100+ fps. This was under XFCE with no compositing, swapbufferswait off, and vblank_mode=(whatever it was that disables vsync). Maybe that's the same (or a related) issue here with the odd MSAA numbers for r300g?

Comment

The issue might be that MSAA renderbuffers are allocated in RAM instead of VRAM. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            With RV730:

glxgears - 5900 FPS, with debug 3900 FPS
            torcs - 33 FPS, with debug 14 FPS
            nexuiz - 56 FPS, with debug 54 FPS (okay that is GPU-bound with graphics options maxed out)
            On my RV530:
            • glxgears - 1750, with debug 1700 FPS
            • torcs 7.3 with debug 6.7 fps

Note that with debug I reverted the -O0 flag and used -O2. Did you do the same to get your numbers?

Also I am sure torcs was much faster some time ago, I got around 15 fps IIRC.

Comment

No, I tested with the defaults of --enable-debug, i.e. -O0.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                No, I tested with the defaults of --enable-debug, i.e. -O0.
                Ah, OK, so your big performance drop is due to compiling with -O0. So --enable-debug + forcing -O2 shouldn’t be much slower than without debug?

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  Ah, OK, so your big performance drop is due to compiling with -O0. So --enable-debug + forcing -O2 shouldn’t be much slower than without debug?
                  For your PPA, I prefer not to use --enable-debug and -DDEBUG at all. -DDEBUG is for development only, there's a lot of sanity checking, which reduces performance; not as much as --enable-debug, but it's noticable. --enable-debug only gives you good gdb experience, other than that it's useless.

You said: "torcs 7.3 with debug 6.7 fps", that's with -O2 and -DDEBUG if I understood correctly. If you convert it to percents, you get 8% worse performance with -DDEBUG - that is the cost of all the sanity checking. That's is too much. Imagine every user using your PPA gets 8% lower performance...

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    I suspect the slowness of Phoronix test here is due to this.
                    That doesn't explain the slower results with MSAA disabled.

Comment

The torcs test was very informal, I just took the on screen fps value after starting a game, the real gap may be smaller (or bigger). Anyway I'll see to disable it.

Comment

Working...
                      X