Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA

    Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA

    Marek Olk has implemented support for buffer copying using the CP DMA engine on Radeon HD 4000 "R700" GPUs and newer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3MDU

  • #2
    Title discrepancy

    "[...] the CP DMA engine is now used on R700 [...]. The support isn't implemented for the Radeon HD 2000/3000 (R600)"

    vs

    "R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by VinzC View Post
      "[...] the CP DMA engine is now used on R700 [...]. The support isn't implemented for the Radeon HD 2000/3000 (R600)"

      vs

      "R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA"
      The driver is called r600 so don't worry

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you very much for your work Marek! We really appreciate it!

        Too bad HD2000/HD3000 support isn't implemented yet. Those are in need of more love, since fgrlx is not an option anymore and Linux gaming is becoming big this year. Are their problems too severe?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VinzC View Post
          "[...] the CP DMA engine is now used on R700 [...]. The support isn't implemented for the Radeon HD 2000/3000 (R600)"

          vs

          "R600 Gallium3D Now Does Buffer Copies With CP DMA"
          Once upon a time Michael used to proofread his articles. His beginnings back in 2004-2007 were quite good, the articles were legible, and you didn't have to second guess meanings of random quotes taken out of context.

          Michael, please, hire some English Lit Major to proofread your articles. I am sure you can match Starbucks' minimum wage!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
            Once upon a time Michael used to proofread his articles. His beginnings back in 2004-2007 were quite good, the articles were legible, and you didn't have to second guess meanings of random quotes taken out of context.

            Michael, please, hire some English Lit Major to proofread your articles. I am sure you can match Starbucks' minimum wage!
            I wouldn't blaim him, at least for radeon stuff. With all the crazy numbering its guaranteed you ll get a headache trying to figure it out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              I wouldn't blaim him, at least for radeon stuff. With all the crazy numbering its guaranteed you ll get a headache trying to figure it out.
              Seriously? I do think that a journalist with 8 years of insight should not get confused by naming conventions, which are easily decipherable on the xorg website...

              Comment


              • #8
                Well the text mixed up quite different things and isn't correct at all.

                It might be a bit confusing but we got two DMA engines on modern radeon hardware: An ASYNC DMA and a SYNC DMA!

                The CP DMA Marek is using is the SYNC DMA engine which runs in the same ring (or maybe let's call it "the same thread", cause that a term software devs usually understands better) as the rendering engine. So when you just want to copy data from A to B in between two rendering operations you use the CP DMA.

                Jerome is working on patches for the ASYNC DMA engine, which (for example) should be used for uploading texture data from the application to VRAM, cause that isn't something we usually do in between rendering operations.

                I just had the feeling that I should clarify that.

                Regards,
                Christian.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
                  Seriously? I do think that a journalist with 8 years of insight should not get confused by naming conventions, which are easily decipherable on the xorg website...
                  You're the one getting confused. The driver is named r600g (as in R600 Gallium3D) and it supports RadeonHD 2000-6000 series. Support for CP DMA was added to that driver, but is currently disabled for R600-based cards.
                  An English Lit major probably wouldn't have the common sense to figure that out...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
                    Well the text mixed up quite different things and isn't correct at all.

                    It might be a bit confusing but we got two DMA engines on modern radeon hardware: An ASYNC DMA and a SYNC DMA!

                    The CP DMA Marek is using is the SYNC DMA engine which runs in the same ring (or maybe let's call it "the same thread", cause that a term software devs usually understands better) as the rendering engine. So when you just want to copy data from A to B in between two rendering operations you use the CP DMA.

                    Jerome is working on patches for the ASYNC DMA engine, which (for example) should be used for uploading texture data from the application to VRAM, cause that isn't something we usually do in between rendering operations.

                    I just had the feeling that I should clarify that.

                    Regards,
                    Christian.
                    Thank you, Christian!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X