Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon LLVM GPU Back-End Stripped From Mesa

Phoronix: Radeon LLVM GPU Back-End Stripped From Mesa

The R600 LLVM back-end for the Radeon Gallium3D driver was removed from Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Radeon LLVM GPU Back-End Stripped From Mesa

The R600 LLVM back-end for the Radeon Gallium3D driver was removed from Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2OTE
    And a good thing this is. If this had not happened, we'd have 3 different R600 LLVM back-ends to choose from when writing code. Mesa's R600 back-end, Tom's LLVM tree, or the upstream LLVM repository. Any fixes/improvements would have to be synchronized between all 3 repositories.

Now we're down to 2 repositories, and I believe that Tom has committed to handling the upstreaming of fixes based on his tree to the upstream LLVM project.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      And a good thing this is. If this had not happened, we'd have 3 different R600 LLVM back-ends to choose from when writing code. Mesa's R600 back-end, Tom's LLVM tree, or the upstream LLVM repository. Any fixes/improvements would have to be synchronized between all 3 repositories.

Now we're down to 2 repositories, and I believe that Tom has committed to handling the upstreaming of fixes based on his tree to the upstream LLVM project.
      well, it's great that we have llvm for radeon

but there's 2 (or some more - haven't tested more than that) main issues I'm facing with it when for my daily work:

I'm running compiz 0.8* (0.9* is unstable for me and it's also not as fast & stable as 0.8* - at least for me)

- the expos?-like feature leads to a black screen

- likewise with the zoom feature

if anyone of the devs is reading here along - could you try to reproduce and see if there's a fix for that ?

(I'm using llvm from Tom's repo via FireBurn overlay with Gentoo)

afaik at the beginning when I started testing it some videoplayback (via smplayer) or even flash (in chromium) also didn't work -> black content

thanks !

Comment

Typical case of mild form of idocracy ;-) At least MESA should have left the code within their codebase as long as LLVM hasn't the backend officially ...

Comment

it seems to improve now:

when triggering the expos?-like feature (vortex animation is selected) for a short second I can see the background - then the screen turns black

also switching desktops via ctrl + alt + arrow (left, right, up, down) also leads to a black screen - when the animation has ended the desktop is viewable again

when zooming in (using the "zoom" feature) the mouse-cursor is still viewable - not sure if it was there before

definitely things seem to be improving

thanks devs !

in the past when I first wanted to try out llvm upon launch of X (lightdm) the screen was totally black - so there's been lots of progress

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            it seems to improve now:

when triggering the expos?-like feature (vortex animation is selected) for a short second I can see the background - then the screen turns black

also switching desktops via ctrl + alt + arrow (left, right, up, down) also leads to a black screen - when the animation has ended the desktop is viewable again

when zooming in (using the "zoom" feature) the mouse-cursor is still viewable - not sure if it was there before
            Which card do you have ? Maybe compiz is triggering a bug not covered by piglit.

Comment

Originally posted by vljn View Post
              Which card do you have ? Maybe compiz is triggering a bug not covered by piglit.
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress PRO [Radeon HD 5800 Series]
              01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress PRO [Radeon HD 5800 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
              Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 0b00
              Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 49
              Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
              Memory at fbde0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
              I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
              Expansion ROM at fbdc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
              Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
              Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
              Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
              Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
              Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
              Kernel driver in use: radeon

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]
              Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]
              Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48
              Memory at fbdbc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
              Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
              Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
              Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
              Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
              Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
              Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
              Originally posted by "Xorg.0.log
              [ 63.900] (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series" (ChipID = 0x6899)
              please let me know if you need more information

Comment

It's much easier to diagnose the problem is you file a bug report (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  It's much easier to diagnose the problem is you file a bug report (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.
                  sure, will do

I'll give it another try within the next days and post the corresponding logs

thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

if you need more info - just ask

Comment

Working...
                    X