AMD R600g Performance Patches Yield Mixed Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Here's some update. We believe the huge performance regression is actually caused by TTM. Put simply, it always synchronizes the CPU with the GPU before a buffer is moved, which is a total performance killer. I think it's a huge mistake that TTM does the synchronization at all, because it's completely unnecessary in our case.
    BTW -and yes i am hijacking- you radeon people broke something in the latest stable kernels related to TTM/GEM.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32095#comment100850

(and there is also another bug report in the kernel bugzilla related to this)

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
      Of course Xonotic is going to be texture starved on a low end 512MB card! they should run it again with a midrage 1GB card, like the 67xx/68xx cards
      When did 512mb VRAM become low-end?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        When did 512mb VRAM become low-end?
        Roughly 2-3 years ago -- I don't remember exactly when, but there was a point where most graphics card mfgs moved en masse to shipping 1GB as the standard configuration even though it wasn't really required at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Here's some update. We believe the huge performance regression is actually caused by TTM. Put simply, it always synchronizes the CPU with the GPU before a buffer is moved, which is a total performance killer. I think it's a huge mistake that TTM does the synchronization at all, because it's completely unnecessary in our case.
          Marek, are there any plans for TTM refactoring, so it doesn't do these synchronizations?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            Marek, are there any plans for TTM refactoring, so it doesn't do these synchronizations?
            Not at the moment, though it's possible there are more issues with TTM. The memory fragmentation comes to mind right now, though I'm not really sure that's the issue.

Comment

How the heck is this mixed results?!

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie508 View Post
                How the heck is this mixed results?!
                Because of unfortunate selection of test profiles and with assumption that those bug reports are valid.

You can only see one regression, but its due to fact that all other test cases used simpler 3d engine. Coupled with bug reports related to sophisticated 3d engines, "mixed results" is correct name. Though this article do not show it completely.

Comment

Working...
                X