Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10: Open-Source Radeon vs. AMD Catalyst Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    UFO Ai 2.4 works quite well on kernel 3.7-rc3 + mesa git + ati git driver if anyone asks me Quite a development from the time I first tried it on the E-350 - r600 driver in mid 2011

    "Bring it on" aliens. Flamethrowers are wating

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by marek View Post
      So I benchmarked Reaction Quake 3 on r600g. Here are the results:

      With Phoronix Test Suite: 19 fps
      Without Phoronix Test Suite: 121 fps

      I wonder what PTS is doing differently.
      THAT's what I'm talking about. It's been going on for years.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        Anyway, I don't care anymore. I sold my Radeon on eBay and am exclusively using Intel's excellent Ivy Bridge drivers for typical desktop computing with various compositors (Unity, Mutter, Muffin, Kwin). Works like a charm with 2D apps and light OpenGL.
        That's funny because I use the ivy bridge drivers too and kwin opengl compositing has been totally broken for weeks now. First, it was awfully slow and kept occassionally stalling everything.

        (Now it immediately crashes when I change to opengl compositing but I think a X restart / reboot will fix it).

        kwin gles works better, but is graphically very glitchy, doesn't redraw the screen well enough.
        Last edited by ChrisXY; 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          That's funny because I use the ivy bridge drivers too and kwin opengl compositing has been totally broken for weeks now. First, it was awfully slow and kept occassionally stalling everything.

          (Now it immediately crashes when I change to opengl compositing but I think a X restart / reboot will fix it).

          kwin gles works better, but is graphically very glitchy, doesn't redraw the screen well enough.
          Since when is it funny that stuff that works for some doesn't work for others? It's just life as we know it on Linux.
          In my case, 2.19 was totally unusable (had to stick with 2.11 or 2.12 for a while), 2.20 is ok, but I can't turn on desktop effects. I'm stuck with F16, so that may be part of the problem though.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            That's funny because I use the ivy bridge drivers too and kwin opengl compositing has been totally broken for weeks now. First, it was awfully slow and kept occassionally stalling everything.

            (Now it immediately crashes when I change to opengl compositing but I think a X restart / reboot will fix it).

            kwin gles works better, but is graphically very glitchy, doesn't redraw the screen well enough.
            even intel recognizes that kde is cancer

            Comment


            • #36
              I've never had a problem with KWin and Ivy Bridge. Smooth as silk. Filed a bug?

              Actually, I haven't had a problem with KWin and r600g for years either. The problem of r600g is not stability, it's features and performance.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Actually, I haven't had a problem with KWin and r600g for years either. The problem of r600g is not stability, it's features and performance.
                r600g won't have many new features for HD2000-HD4000 anyway. Only these are missing there:
                - geometry shaders
                - multisample textures (DONE in the driver, but core Mesa can't do it yet)
                - uniform buffer objects
                - texture buffers objects (this is being worked on)

                Once this list is done, there won't be any OpenGL feature that the hardware can do that the driver doesn't implement. Then it'll be mostly just about performance.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by marek View Post
                  r600g won't have many new features for HD2000-HD4000 anyway. Only these are missing there:
                  - geometry shaders
                  - multisample textures (DONE in the driver, but core Mesa can't do it yet)
                  - uniform buffer objects
                  - texture buffers objects (this is being worked on)

                  Once this list is done, there won't be any OpenGL feature that the hardware can do that the driver doesn't implement. Then it'll be mostly just about performance.
                  You are right, and I should have written "FLOSS radeon drivers".

                  What is missing is not really a part of OpenGL, but they are still missing: dynamic power management, UVD, OpenCL. Some belong in the kernel, some in Mesa, etc.

                  Since the GPU drivers are spread between different projects now, it's harder nowadays to be specific

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    That's funny because I use the ivy bridge drivers too and kwin opengl compositing has been totally broken for weeks now. First, it was awfully slow and kept occassionally stalling everything.

                    (Now it immediately crashes when I change to opengl compositing but I think a X restart / reboot will fix it).

                    kwin gles works better, but is graphically very glitchy, doesn't redraw the screen well enough.
                    I think that this has possibly been fixed due to a KWin bug.

                    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55998

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                      I wonder what the purpose of 300 fps would be. As far as I have heard the human eye will only register up to 60 fps - so perhaps a better measure would be "at what resolution does the driver performance sink below ideal fps".

                      This might give a different readout than just completely un-needed fps that do not give any noticeable difference for the human user.
                      You have heard wrong. 60 hz is when flickering of CRTs tends to become unnoticeable for viewing objects head on. Try staring at a CRT running at 60 hz then viewing it with your periphrial vision.

                      http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X