Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D Now Does MSAA On R600

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon Gallium3D Now Does MSAA On R600

    Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Now Does MSAA On R600

    Thanks to the great work of Marek Olk, the prolific independent contributor to Mesa/Gallium3D that is still at university, AMD Radeon HD 2000/3000 "R600" hardware now has MSAA (anti-aliasing) support from the open-source Linux graphics driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2OTE

  • #2
    I hope i am not the only one that gets a headache with all the different naming in the ATI range (r600, cayman evergree hd 7000 etc etc)

    Anyway props to Marek and airlied that also worked on MSAA i think.





    PS
    I hope that AMD understands that one of the reasons that people suggest AMD for those who want FOSS drivers is Marek.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope AMD has already offered Marek a job

      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      I hope that AMD understands that one of the reasons that people suggest AMD for those who want FOSS drivers is Marek.
      It's not just that he's getting a boatload of work done, but it's good solid work. The article says:

      the prolific independent contributor to Mesa/Gallium3D that is still at university
      I hope he has a job at AMD in a year, or two, or whenever his studies are complete.

      AMD would be fools not to.

      Comment


      • #4
        Great job

        Marek is doing a great job!

        Comment


        • #5
          YAAAAY!!!

          Any chance this MSAA work can be applied to r300g? It's one of the last
          features that the AMD Catalyst drivers from 2007 have that the r300g drivers don't.

          I'm sure a lot of people on laptops are going to be very thankful for this work. Myself included if it makes it to r300g.

          I agree, AMD should hire this guy... Or at the very least, pay for his tuition.

          AMD picked up that developer from Stanford that was working on the GPGPU acceleration for Folding@home, so I don't see why they wouldn't be trying to hire Marek as I'm sure Marek has made bigger contributions to AMD than that already.

          Cheers.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm pretty sure it's been reported here

            that Marek was offered a job by AMD, but he turned them down to stay at university.

            Hopefully they'll offer again when he graduates.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              that Marek was offered a job by AMD, but he turned them down to stay at university.

              Hopefully they'll offer again when he graduates.
              Wasn't that about Valve and not AMD?

              Comment


              • #8
                Of course Mr Olšk does a wonderful job, but other devs too. Marek's works is "just" the tip of the iceberg
                Last edited by whitecat; 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Improvements to r600/r700 are greatly appreciated! Also, a big thank you to Michael for reporting this news!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Also just wanted to throw in a "thank you!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What applications need MSAA today? Most of these are probably games and written for MS+Nvidia platform.
                      Recently I tested a lot of titles with the radeon FOSS driver and have to say: don't touch anything with Nvidia written on it if you have a radeon card.

                      What I learned: in future stay away from MS and Nvidia stickers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by disi View Post
                        What applications need MSAA today? Most of these are probably games and written for MS+Nvidia platform.
                        Recently I tested a lot of titles with the radeon FOSS driver and have to say: don't touch anything with Nvidia written on it if you have a radeon card.

                        What I learned: in future stay away from MS and Nvidia stickers
                        MSAA doesn't stand for Microsoft.. It stands for "Multi-Sampling". It's one of the most basic forms of anti-aliasing. Of course, CSAA and MLAA are much more efficient but also are much more complex. That's what really boggles my mind is why they completed MLAA so much earlier than MSAA, especially since a lot of hardware that can run MSAA *CAN'T* run MLAA or CSAA but all hardware that can run MLAA or CSAA can easily run MSAA.. /shrug. Don't know why MSAA is so late, I've been waiting for it to be in the open source Radeon driver for many years. Hopefully it will come to r300g as well soon. I don't know anybody that would run MSAA above 4X, it's just a waste as CSAA or MLAA is much more efficient performance wise at higher anti-aliasing levels. People who are running very old hardware that can only run MSAA certainly aren't going to be going above 4X MSAA for performance reasons..

                        I just want my 2XMSAA on r300g... That's enough to keep me happy, I hate jaggies
                        Last edited by Sidicas; 08-28-2012, 04:21 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                          That's what really boggles my mind is why they completed MLAA so much earlier than MSAA, especially since a lot of hardware that can run MSAA *CAN'T* run MLAA or CSAA but all hardware that can run MLAA or CSAA can easily run MSAA..

                          That's because the MSAA is a hardware feature, so needs r600-specific magic to turn on and use, (Which possibly changes between hardware generations, and no doubt different magic to nvidia/intel/other hardware).

                          MLAA, on the other hand, is implemented as a shader pass over the final image, so only a shader needs to be written (And assuming that the shader compilers work correctly for their corresponding cards, the same shader should work on all generations/architectures with no changes) and can be completed with no hardware-specific knowledge.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                            MSAA doesn't stand for Microsoft.. It stands for "Multi-Sampling". It's one of the most basic forms of anti-aliasing. Of course, CSAA and MLAA are much more efficient but also are much more complex. That's what really boggles my mind is why they completed MLAA so much earlier than MSAA, especially since a lot of hardware that can run MSAA *CAN'T* run MLAA or CSAA but all hardware that can run MLAA or CSAA can easily run MSAA.. /shrug. Don't know why MSAA is so late, I've been waiting for it to be in the open source Radeon driver for many years. Hopefully it will come to r300g as well soon. I don't know anybody that would run MSAA above 4X, it's just a waste as CSAA or MLAA is much more efficient performance wise at higher anti-aliasing levels. People who are running very old hardware that can only run MSAA certainly aren't going to be going above 4X MSAA for performance reasons..

                            I just want my 2XMSAA on r300g... That's enough to keep me happy, I hate jaggies
                            Oh I knew it doesn't stand for Microsoft, but wine just got support end of last year? And especially under wine with kind of older titles there is the possibility to raise the quality to maximum with modern graphic cards to make them look better.
                            So I went along and tested some titles from GOG under PlayOnLinux and radeon driver:
                            1. D&D - Dragonshard -> works perfect
                            2. The Nations -> works perfect
                            3. Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone -> characters not rendered (like EQ2 in the beginning or still? Not playing any more)
                            4. Disciples 2 Gold -> works perfect

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              When will be antialiasing usable in games like xonotic, sauerbraten? It says that isn't supported. I'm using latest kernel, libdrm, mesa-git

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X