Radeon Gallium3D Now Does MSAA On R600

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neatnoise View Post
    When will be antialiasing usable in games like xonotic, sauerbraten? It says that isn't supported. I'm using latest kernel, libdrm, mesa-git
    You need at least kernel 3.6-rc3.

Comment

I think he actually needs 3.6-rc4. The dmesg should say "[drm] Initialized radeon 2.22.0". The version is the only thing that matters.

The only required components for MSAA are the kernel, and Mesa 9.0 or git. Mesa won't let you built itself unless you have the latest libdrm too, that's the third requirement.

Some people have said that you need to update xf86-video-ati or even xorg... that's not true.

As I said before, the MSAA can be used through OpenGL framebuffer objects, not through GLX, which some apps use instead. That will hopefully be tackled in the next Mesa release. GLX support is kinda a separate project on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        As I said before, the MSAA can be used through OpenGL framebuffer objects, not through GLX, which some apps use instead. That will hopefully be tackled in the next Mesa release. GLX support is kinda a separate project on its own.
        Is there a way to know what an apps uses? (opengl fbo or glx)

Comment

That must be because of GLX, what I have is:

Linux 3.6.0-rc4 #1 SMP Sun Sep 2 15:14:45 CEST 2012 x86_64
          libdrm 2.4.39
          GL_RENDERER: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770
          GL_VERSION: 3.0 Mesa 9.0-devel (git-a96119c)

Xonotic log, after trying to enable 2x AA:

VID_Restart: changing from fullscreen 1440x900x32bpp, to fullscreen 1440x900x32bpp (2x AA).
          Linked against SDL version 1.2.12
          Using SDL library version 1.2.15
          Failed to set video mode to 1440x900: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
          Video mode change failed
          Linked against SDL version 1.2.12
          Using SDL library version 1.2.15
          GL_VENDOR: X.Org
          GL_RENDERER: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770
          GL_VERSION: 3.0 Mesa 9.0-devel (git-a96119c)
          vid.support.arb_multisample 1
          vid.support.gl20shaders 1
          NOTE: requested 1x AA, got 0x AA
          Video Mode: fullscreen 1440x900x32x0.00hz

Comment

Xonotic is a fork of Nexuiz. I know nexuiz have different launcher, like nexuiz-sdl and nexuiz-glx. See if there is something similar with xonotic.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
              Xonotic is a fork of Nexuiz. I know nexuiz have different launcher, like nexuiz-sdl and nexuiz-glx. See if there is something similar with xonotic.
              on both the same result

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                Ah. Since most apps render directly to GLX buffers rather than OpenGL framebuffer objects, I'm guessing there are very few whose MSAA actually works with the r600 driver right now. Do you know of any that do off-hand? I've got a suitable kernel set up to test this, but without any software to test that's kinda pointless.

Comment

MSAA should work with all Direct3D applications in Wine. (Wine is using FBOs to implement MSAA for Direct3D)

Comment

How nice that a feature supports emulated apps before native ones

Comment

That has more to do with the quality of "native" linux ports. Oh, and wine is not an emulator, a native windows game running in wine is more native to linux then a java app or a C# app running in mono.

Comment

Perhaps you missed the smiley

Also it has nothing to do with port quality. It's simply often easier to use an AA visual, so guess which method most apps use.

Comment

It gets better:

r600g: use better sample positions for 8x MSAA

Taken from the intel driver. The sample positions are actually a solution to the 8 queens puzzle. It gives more accurate and smoother AA.

and:

r600g: implement texturing with 8x MSAA compressed surfaces for Evergreen

The 2x and 4x MSAA cases are completely broken. The lfdptr instruction returns garbage there.

The 8x MSAA case is broken on Cayman, though at least the result looks somewhat correct.

Only the 8x MSAA case works on Evergreen and is enabled.

Comment

Working...
                          X