Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marek Lands Radeon Gallium3D MSAA Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by marek View Post
    You need the kernel from Linus's tree (I think he merged the MSAA patch just yesterday).

    Also the MSAA can be used through OpenGL's framebuffer objects only. Gallium doesn't implement MSAA through the GLX configs yet. (that will require core Gallium work only though)
    Thanks for the insight. I'll wait for 3.6.0rc2 and give it another shot (on 3.6.0rc1 currently).

    Comment


    • #17
      marek or veraapaen could you give me some tips to debug prime code in kernel 3.5/3.6 cuz it seems the code don't like at all my 4850X2.

      things i noticed:

      1.) regnum online with kernel 3.4.5 is 100 fps stable but in 3.5 or 3.6 constantly flip between 10[ish] and 120 fps
      2.) hard lockups very randomly(reason i don't know how to debug it)
      3.) other subsystems crash on me[my realtek wifi is quite common] if i use the r600g driver but if i boot nomodeset and force llvm renderer no more crashes at all[weird thing]

      if you ask me it seems some part of the code think my 4850X2 is a single GPU and another part randomly try to render stuff in the second GPU and send it to the first GPU and eventually shit hit the fan and fail to read an empty framebuffer in the first GPU cuz is actually in the second GPU ram and BANG[very empiric deduction]

      i use gentoo so i can recompile anything you need i just need to know what to do it stress me to no end have an ancient 3.4 kernel running [live git or no ballz jajajaja]

      Comment


      • #18
        Bisect the kernel between 3.4 and 3.6?

        Comment


        • #19
          well not very useful cuz prime or dma buff are not in 3.4, it landed in 3.5 and since 3.5 upto 3.6 my X2 is unusable and handle 5m tops without hardlockups

          and the issue seem to be that my x2 card is perceived as optimus or it simple cant understand 2 GPU in 1 PCB dunno

          i know the issue is prime commit what i need is a way to see what is the GPU doing that lock it up so maybe one of the gurus can fix it [ky kernel C kung fu is weak and may kill kittens] having enough debug info

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            well not very useful cuz prime or dma buff are not in 3.4, it landed in 3.5 and since 3.5 upto 3.6 my X2 is unusable and handle 5m tops without hardlockups

            and the issue seem to be that my x2 card is perceived as optimus or it simple cant understand 2 GPU in 1 PCB dunno

            i know the issue is prime commit what i need is a way to see what is the GPU doing that lock it up so maybe one of the gurus can fix it [ky kernel C kung fu is weak and may kill kittens] having enough debug info
            Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be of much help. My experience is more on the user-land side of OpenCL, and I don't have any hardware that I can really use to reproduce the issue.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by marek View Post
              You need the kernel from Linus's tree (I think he merged the MSAA patch just yesterday).

              Also the MSAA can be used through OpenGL's framebuffer objects only. Gallium doesn't implement MSAA through the GLX configs yet. (that will require core Gallium work only though)
              Thanks for the pointer about the kernel patch. I grabbed a daily kernel build from here, and now I've got GL 3.0 advertised.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well not very useful cuz prime or dma buff are not in 3.4, it landed in 3.5 and since 3.5 upto 3.6 my X2 is unusable and handle 5m tops without hardlockups

                and the issue seem to be that my x2 card is perceived as optimus or it simple cant understand 2 GPU in 1 PCB dunno

                i know the issue is prime commit what i need is a way to see what is the GPU doing that lock it up so maybe one of the gurus can fix it [ky kernel C kung fu is weak and may kill kittens] having enough debug info
                Have you bisected? Nothing uses prime yet so it's not the problem. It's not even used unless you explicitly ask for it which requires support in the ddx and xserver which is not yet available. Moreover, prime is just a mechanism to share dma buffers between drivers. It has nothing to do with treating cards like optimus or anything like that. X2 cards are treated like two independent chips from the drivers perspective and that behavior has not changed since prime support was added.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Have you bisected? Nothing uses prime yet so it's not the problem. It's not even used unless you explicitly ask for it which requires support in the ddx and xserver which is not yet available. Moreover, prime is just a mechanism to share dma buffers between drivers. It has nothing to do with treating cards like optimus or anything like that. X2 cards are treated like two independent chips from the drivers perspective and that behavior has not changed since prime support was added.
                  ill try a full dissect this time since the first was very narrow and i assumed was this since i noticed my second GPU in low get hotter beyond 3.4 like it is doing something, ill check if radeontop give me some light in here too and post my result later and fill da bug if possible

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    ill try a full dissect this time since the first was very narrow and i assumed was this since i noticed my second GPU in low get hotter beyond 3.4 like it is doing something, ill check if radeontop give me some light in here too and post my result later and fill da bug if possible
                    [OT]
                    Slightly OT, but "Da bug"? Skillz? 1337? Boyz 'n da hood?
                    Proper English (or try to, English isn't my first language, so I'll do my best at least) makes it a lot easier to communicate, and proper punctuation ROCKS! It's just a lot easier for everybody else to read and get what you're trying to say. Didn't mean to offend by saying so though!
                    [/OT]

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      [OT]
                      Slightly OT, but "Da bug"? Skillz? 1337? Boyz 'n da hood?
                      Proper English (or try to, English isn't my first language, so I'll do my best at least) makes it a lot easier to communicate, and proper punctuation ROCKS! It's just a lot easier for everybody else to read and get what you're trying to say. Didn't mean to offend by saying so though!
                      [/OT]
                      Yo dude, whatz da prob???!? Dis is better than proper english, its uber 1337 m4st3r english in da hood!!!!!
                      What ya mean with proper punctation????!???!? Ma punctation rocks da house

                      Just kidding and sorry for beeing OT. English isn't my native language, too.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                        Yo dude, whatz da prob???!? Dis is better than proper english, its uber 1337 m4st3r english in da hood!!!!!
                        What ya mean with proper punctation????!???!? Ma punctation rocks da house

                        Just kidding and sorry for beeing OT. English isn't my native language, too.
                        Sorrz man, mah badz!?!? polognizznits ferventlies!!11!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by marek View Post
                          You need the kernel from Linus's tree (I think he merged the MSAA patch just yesterday).
                          Thanks, yet another phoronix article missing important details. Who would have thought?

                          3.6.0-rc2-mainline
                          Code:
                           ~ % glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                          OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD
                          OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.1-devel (git-81ba2c5)
                          OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                            [OT]
                            Slightly OT, but "Da bug"? Skillz? 1337? Boyz 'n da hood?
                            Proper English (or try to, English isn't my first language, so I'll do my best at least) makes it a lot easier to communicate, and proper punctuation ROCKS! It's just a lot easier for everybody else to read and get what you're trying to say. Didn't mean to offend by saying so though!
                            [/OT]
                            no problem , spanish is my main language so when i have hard time mentally translating something i tend to make many mistakes but you are right i should put more effort in using a proper language

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                              no problem , spanish is my main language so when i have hard time mentally translating something i tend to make many mistakes but you are right i should put more effort in using a proper language

                              I apologize. Phoronix forums had an issue with a former member (We'll call him "Q") that would post nonsensical strings of inflammatory english words as a way of trolling people. He's gone, but we still tend to overreact when we see similar behavior.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                                Have you bisected? Nothing uses prime yet so it's not the problem. It's not even used unless you explicitly ask for it which requires support in the ddx and xserver which is not yet available. Moreover, prime is just a mechanism to share dma buffers between drivers. It has nothing to do with treating cards like optimus or anything like that. X2 cards are treated like two independent chips from the drivers perspective and that behavior has not changed since prime support was added.
                                well im still bisecting but whatever it was got fixed in 3.6-rc2, ill keep disscting between rc1 and rc2[thankfully lot shorter than between major revisions] and try to identify the culprit so it can be backported

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X