Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon PRIME Import/Export Support For Libdrm

Phoronix: Radeon PRIME Import/Export Support For Libdrm

Support within the DRM user-space library for handling PRIME import and export of GEM buffer objects has been committed for the open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All this work is very exciting! What should be done to enable GPU-switching (with MUXless cards)? When it will be possible?

Comment

I will be buying a notebook with enduro soon so I am a bit interested in that work but there is surprisingly little information "out there".

As I understand it the whole GPU offloading and output slave will come with randr 1.5 but my xrandr --version says with xorg-git master:
      Code:
      xrandr program version       1.3.5
      Server reports RandR version 1.3
      So it's not even in Xorg yet?

According to phoronix the prime/dmabuf stuff should be in linux 3.5. But is it ready? Is it ready in 3.6-rc1?

Is there xf86-video-ati needed at all?

And how long will it take until it is ready at least in git? I don't need to know it exactly, but days, weeks or months?

Comment

GPU recovery

Does PRIME support GPU crash/lock-up recovery?
        What if a device driver crash?

Then the whole system crashes?

Comment

What driver combo's will be possible with the PRIME technology?

Intel(FOSS) + (NON-FOSS) ATi/NVidia
          Intel(FOSS) + (FOSS) ATi/NVidia

I know there is no NON-FOSS optimus support, but is there any NON-FOSS ATi support for dual-card laptops, is it decent?

Comment

I think the Linux Catalyst driver (aka fglrx) allows manual switching between GPUs, but requires that X be restarted for the switch to take effect.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think the Linux Catalyst driver (aka fglrx) allows manual switching between GPUs, but requires that X be restarted for the switch to take effect.
              And that makes this feature useless

Comment

Um... no, but I know you already knew that
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Um... no, but I know you already knew that
                  My point is that something like that should not involve user interaction or even an automated restart. The user must have no idea -not even the slightest blink must disrupt his work- when the system goes from one card to another. OK maybe a notification but thats all.

Comment

Ahh, you mean "makes Catalyst's switching useless". I thought you were talking about making radeon Prime useless.

At least I understand what you're saying now, even if I still don't agree with it
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X