Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
    Give it a rest. Either refute my points or desist from digging yourself into a hole.
    You mean like I already did by providing a link that shows significant improvements in the 3.5 kernel? How about another link, showing the DDX got solid picture acceleration (everyone using a distro that ships cairo-1.12 will be extremely happy for that) - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTExNTc

Now it's your turn. Some links, please. Though I predict you won't to that. Which means, if there's anyone digging themselves into a hole, it's 100% you. But thanks for *again* projecting onto me what holds true for you. It's another classic

And presuming to "close" the thread because you are done with it, and your analysis is definitive. Priceless.
    Holy shiznit, that is some awesome stuff here! Where exactly did I "close" this thread? I was justifying (and apologizing for) my derailment of the thread. Your skill of making crazy conclusions is... crazy.

Now about the death threat issue : do you condone those actions, or not ? And do you condone Michael's refusal to take any action ?
    What refusal of what action? Provide something with actual substance, then a response will be possible. But all you're providing is vague, generic conspiracy theories with no substance whatsoever. It's up to you. I can only repeat - learn from Q.
    Last edited by Gusar; 06-09-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I'd say this is pretty representative

Before this gets way out of control, perhaps it would be fitting to ruminate on the following post and Michael's point-blank refusal to ban duby229 at that time.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...416#post117416

In fact the whole thread is illuminating, because it clearly shows that even in 2008 things were not exactly rosy in the radeon garden. Which is exactly what my recent point was about.

And in case anyone missed the point, under the barrage of chaff :

The radeon driver is a complete and utter disgrace, and is going backwards, not forwards. The recent "improvements" are way too late. I correctly predicted years ago that the radeon driver would never catch up with the hardware releases. And the fault for that clearly lies with the "devs".

Comment

Before this gets way out of control, perhaps it would be fitting to ruminate on the following post and Michael's point-blank refusal to ban duby229 at that time.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...416#post117416
        WTF does that post have to do with your conspiracy theories regarding radeon? You were trolling and got trolled back, it's that simple.

Oh, is this an example of the supposed lack of action on Michael's part? He actually closed the thread, that's rare. And after a barrage of colorful words from you towards others, you take issue that someone returned in kind? Another classic - you can dish out, but you can't take it when you get served the same.

In fact the whole thread is illuminating
        I disagree, it's not very illuminating. All it contains is lots of colorful words and other assorted BS coming from you, extending the conspiracy theories beyond AMD and onto RedHat. Still nothing of substance though. Try harder. At least you provided a link, that's something.

And I must say, I admire bridgman. Not matter how much BS gets flung his way, he still continues to calmly explain stuff.

is going backwards, not forwards. The recent "improvements" are way too late.
        So the driver is going backwards by... improving things? Awesome logic!
        Last edited by Gusar; 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

gordboy, stop arguing in this thread and derailing it off topic else you will be the one banned as this is far from the first time you've caused problems with others.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Just kick him/them.

It's stupid to have this level of noise in the forum when adults are actually trying to discuss things and impart information. There is no reason why people like Bridgman should be made to tolerate this level of abuse.

Let them create their own forums and blogs were they can bitch to one another and pretend to be victimized by AMD/ATI.

Comment

I said years ago that the radeon effort was a poisoned chalice and that the main players were holding the project back, rather than progressing it.
              If that is true, why wasn't there a fork that shows your purported progress?

Comment

Shoot the messenger

Michael, I already asked you to remove my username permanently.

So go ahead and ban me. Like I care about your fantasy world.

You are a prime example of someone who simply does not realise that they are a bit of a joke. A fucking clown who is regarded as a joke all over the linux world. A paid bully.

Comment

And in case anyone missed the point, under the barrage of chaff :

The radeon driver is a complete and utter disgrace, and is going backwards, not forwards. The recent "improvements" are way too late. I correctly predicted years ago that the radeon driver would never catch up with the hardware releases. And the fault for that clearly lies with the "devs".
                  right now i can not install the catalyst 12.4 on my kubuntu 12.04 system with my hd4770
                  maybe im to stupid to install a "driver" but on the other side the radeon driver works all the time?
                  this means i'm not to stupid to use the radeon driver?

so we have a driver who just works but gets "improvments to late" and we do have a driver who people like me with 20 years of computer experience are incapable to get it to work ?
                  in my point of view the radeon driver do have a better performance on my system right now and its just a shame that AMD do not put all the catalyst money into the radeon driver.

but your message is different i think you claim that the radeon driver is hopeless and amd should go 'Catalyst only? with the result that no driver work on my system ? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                    right now i can not install the catalyst 12.4 on my kubuntu 12.04 system with my hd4770
                    maybe im to stupid to install a "driver" but on the other side the radeon driver works all the time?
                    this means i'm not to stupid to use the radeon driver?

so we have a driver who just works but gets "improvments to late" and we do have a driver who people like me with 20 years of computer experience are incapable to get it to work ?
                    in my point of view the radeon driver do have a better performance on my system right now and its just a shame that AMD do not put all the catalyst money into the radeon driver.

but your message is different i think you claim that the radeon driver is hopeless and amd should go 'Catalyst only? with the result that no driver work on my system ? LOL
                    You might not have noticed, but the guy you replied to has been - how should I put it - suppressed, so you won't get an answer any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      You might not have noticed, but the guy you replied to has been - how should I put it - suppressed, so you won't get an answer any time soon.
                      .... its hard to be suppressed in the Phoenix forum.
                      at least I'm tried to communicate with him without denouncing him.

but he is a good example that people should not negate facts.
                      The radeon driver do well as a "Legacy hardware" driver to extend the support time of hardware.
                      that alone justifies its existence.

this shows that his Opinion that the radeon driver is upper crap and complete useless is just completely ridiculous.

Comment

Wow, I forgot how cool that heron wallpaper was. I think that's still the only default wallpaper I've actually used. Oh, the memories.

Comment

Actually concerning these benchmarks and the conclusions drawn: I had some questions.

Something notable in the results was that it appeared that games designed for older hardware (earlier versions or using older engines) ran far better on Catalyst than the the open source drivers. Newer games ran closer to the same or sometimes faster. Is this because newer games are forced to use more unoptimized fallbacks for that old hardware narrowing the difference?

I know every time benchmarks are done people chirp in and say why didn't you do this or that - I'm just curious because I have rose glass memories of being able to play NWN with maxed out settings on my T60, and I haven't been able to do that without severe slowdowns on the gallium drivers as of a couple months ago.

Also obviously maxing out settings that arn't supported like AA is cheating.

Comment

Working...
                          X