Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    What Mac OS X supports its their business and none of ours. We want the latest and greatest.
    Companies targeting Linux will mostly also have a Mac port in place.
    AFAIK Apple still only provides OpenGL functionality up to version 3.2.
    This will probably represent the boundary condition by means of a
    common denominator for the supported OpenGL version.

That's why I said OpenGL 4.x won't be required IMHO and focus is more
    on speed and compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
      Not with Linux 3.5.
      Not to mention I'm getting nasty lockup in this binary crap once a week or two. With a very interesting trace showing fglrx has caused OS to die by horrible death.

For some reason opensource driver is far more stable and could easily last for month or two of uptime without any nasty surprises.

P.S. looks like if Intel does a great job and it's a really cool idea for them to communicate with Valve to make a decent 3D engines to run nice on their hardware out of the box. As for me AMD could learn from this as well. Else it would be more than funny if powerful 3D engine would work better on weaker GPUs due to better drivers

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
        With a very interesting trace showing fglrx has caused OS to die by horrible death.
        You already show this trace to AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
          What is the current state of graphics on Linux?

Steam is coming soon, are we ready to handle those high-profile games that will come with Steam, Valve and other game providers?

What is the current state of our radeon/nouveau/intel graphics drivers? I know the nvidia blob has good GL 4.x support, but what about the FOSS ones and Mesa, etc?

Are we going to be ok and handle the graphics intensive games just fine?
          I wonder also. Will my hd 6970 from ati perform with free drivers?

I really do not understand why ati keeps two sets of drivers for linux. One good and one not so good. Why not open up their best driver? Is this mockery?

Comment

Originally posted by risotto77 View Post
            I wonder also. Will my hd 6970 from ati perform with free drivers?

I really do not understand why ati keeps two sets of drivers for linux. One good and one not so good. Why not open up their best driver? Is this mockery?
            I installed Linux-3.5 yesterday and hurray it works again (couldn't use the whole 3.4 series due to screen corruption).
            OilRush runs on middle detail @ ~17fps 1920x1080 on my AMD 6970M with mesa 8.1-something and ColorTiling2D in xorg.conf (not sure if that matters), no corruptions or anything, just a little slow to play, but hey I had the first rig, then went on to the next and then noticed, boa you just played that game for ~30min already ^^

Comment

I was also able to play Trine 2 with my Radeon HD 4670 using only the stock R600g drivers that come with Fedora 16 and with a CPU that was actually below the minimum spec. Played through the game twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                I was also able to play Trine 2 with my Radeon HD 4670 using only the stock R600g drivers that come with Fedora 16 and with a CPU that was actually below the minimum spec. Played through the game twice.
                I noticed, I was on 'low' power profile. So 1/3 of GPU power, but on 'auto' with clock: 680000 kHz there is no difference in fps...

Comment

Working...
                X