Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    fglrx support is here at least for half-year.
    Not with Linux 3.5.

    Comment


    • #72
      @mercuti

      i use 12.6-legacy with control/signature from 12-4 and this patch:

      https://launchpadlibrarian.net/10976...-do_mmap.patch

      this runs with kernel 3.5.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by asdx
        What is the current state of graphics on Linux?

        Steam is coming soon, are we ready to handle those high-profile games that will come with Steam, Valve and other game providers?

        What is the current state of our radeon/nouveau/intel graphics drivers? I know the nvidia blob has good GL 4.x support, but what about the FOSS ones and Mesa, etc?

        Are we going to be ok and handle the graphics intensive games just fine?
        There are quite a few things missing (with Mesa 8.1 in August we will have OpenGL 3) but i expect Steam to suggest using the blobs.

        WebGl i thing also doesn't work as it is supposed to (at least in my case).

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          There are quite a few things missing (with Mesa 8.1 in August we will have OpenGL 3) but i expect Steam to suggest using the blobs.

          WebGl i thing also doesn't work as it is supposed to (at least in my case).
          Yes, I expect so too. Unless a magic fairy waves her wand and gives us fast and stable opengl 4.2 with mesa today or so.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
            Yes, I expect so too. Unless a magic fairy waves her wand and gives us fast and stable opengl 4.2 with mesa today or so.
            I guess it's more about speed and compliance.
            What is the newes OpenGL version Mac OS X supports?

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by entropy View Post
              I guess it's more about speed and compliance.
              What is the newes OpenGL version Mac OS X supports?
              What Mac OS X supports its their business and none of ours. We want the latest and greatest.

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                What Mac OS X supports its their business and none of ours. We want the latest and greatest.
                Companies targeting Linux will mostly also have a Mac port in place.
                AFAIK Apple still only provides OpenGL functionality up to version 3.2.
                This will probably represent the boundary condition by means of a
                common denominator for the supported OpenGL version.

                That's why I said OpenGL 4.x won't be required IMHO and focus is more
                on speed and compliance.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                  Not with Linux 3.5.
                  Not to mention I'm getting nasty lockup in this binary crap once a week or two. With a very interesting trace showing fglrx has caused OS to die by horrible death.

                  For some reason opensource driver is far more stable and could easily last for month or two of uptime without any nasty surprises.

                  P.S. looks like if Intel does a great job and it's a really cool idea for them to communicate with Valve to make a decent 3D engines to run nice on their hardware out of the box. As for me AMD could learn from this as well. Else it would be more than funny if powerful 3D engine would work better on weaker GPUs due to better drivers

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                    With a very interesting trace showing fglrx has caused OS to die by horrible death.
                    You already show this trace to AMD?

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by asdx
                      What is the current state of graphics on Linux?

                      Steam is coming soon, are we ready to handle those high-profile games that will come with Steam, Valve and other game providers?

                      What is the current state of our radeon/nouveau/intel graphics drivers? I know the nvidia blob has good GL 4.x support, but what about the FOSS ones and Mesa, etc?

                      Are we going to be ok and handle the graphics intensive games just fine?
                      I wonder also. Will my hd 6970 from ati perform with free drivers?

                      I really do not understand why ati keeps two sets of drivers for linux. One good and one not so good. Why not open up their best driver? Is this mockery?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X