Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using OpenCL with the radeon driver to print Bitcoins ? is this posible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    @agd5f
    thanks

    a bit off topic but which card works well with FOSS drivers and will support OpenCL??. in other words what would you buy now
    I don't know what he would buy now, but I have a Radeon 6850 in my home machine which I've used with Catalyst + OpenCL and which also runs nicely with the OSS drivers under Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome Shell. I'm just waiting for the Gallium OpenCL support to land so that I can have the best of both worlds with regards to my home development projects.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      In this case Q might have a point... the open drivers probably won't have the same level of shader compiler sophistication as the Catalyst drivers for a while, so my guess is that GCN-architecture parts will be able to make relatively better use of their potential hardware performance with the open compute stack than will comparable VLIW parts.
      thank you very much this is my point if someone buy a new card to get opensource OpenCL support he maybe should jump to a hd7750 or higher card.

      Bet on a Death Horse is always wrong. and VLIW is death.

      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Then again, IIRC the bitcoin code has already been partially vectorized to work well on VLIW hardware so maybe in the case of bitcoin mining he doesn't have a point after all
      show me the benchmarks

      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      If you ignore the VLIW/GCN transition, however, I imagine relative performance with the Catalyst driver will be a decent predictor of relative performance with the open stack.
      show me the benchmarks

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        show me the benchmarks
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        show me the benchmarks
        The implicit original question was "(without waiting for the code to be finished and benchmarks to be available) what do you think I should get ?".

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The implicit original question was "(without waiting for the code to be finished and benchmarks to be available) what do you think I should get ?".
          sure but its like speculating and waiting for a better Linux driver for your windows-only-modem or waiting for better linux drivers for the Xbox360 ATI XENOS graphic card.

          don't get me wrong I'm happy about the ATI-XENOS-Xbox360 based hardware with the name R600 but i think its a Death Horse from the MIcrosoft Bill Gates Death hand from the start one.

          in fact if you buy a R600 based graphic card you are just fucked by bill gates AGAIN! and AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

          i don't count on that!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            Apart from a few exceptions (e.g. BFI_INT opcode) it is possible to use the full capability of the hardware with the proprietary driver for bitcoin mining. ALU performance is almost exclusively the determining factor for resulting Mhash/s. I expect that if the open driver can generate code that performs within N% within proprietary driver on hardware A, it will also run within ~N% on hardware B.
            I suspect tricks like these will be available on the OSS stack. But then you'll need to write whatever low-level code is used.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              I don't know what he would buy now, but I have a Radeon 6850 in my home machine which I've used with Catalyst + OpenCL and which also runs nicely with the OSS drivers under Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome Shell. I'm just waiting for the Gallium OpenCL support to land so that I can have the best of both worlds with regards to my home development projects.
              i was looking at a HD6850

              now in order to get a new computer (and replace the POS i have now) i must find a solution to the other big problem

              money

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                i was looking at a HD6850

                now in order to get a new computer (and replace the POS i have now) i must find a solution to the other big problem

                money
                For about the same price as a 6850, you can also look at the new Radeon 7770:
                http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=536

                I'd just wait until the OSS drivers are available, or at least the Catalyst driver supports it without the watermark. The GCN architecture will probably end up maturing to be closer to catalyst performance than the VLIW architecture in the 6850, and probably uses less power while doing so... You just have to wait for the OSS drivers to be completed if you don't want to use Catalyst, whereas the 6850 works fine on r600g today.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  For about the same price as a 6850, you can also look at the new Radeon 7770:
                  http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=536
                  I agree with the spirit of this reply. Procure the newest generation of tech rather than an older generation. Find a compromise (fglrx) until the FOSS driver has matured to a usable state. Do what you can to contribute to the FOSS effort for the duration that you are in limbo (testing, bug reports, coding).

                  F

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    I agree with the spirit of this reply. Procure the newest generation of tech rather than an older generation. Find a compromise (fglrx) until the FOSS driver has matured to a usable state. Do what you can to contribute to the FOSS effort for the duration that you are in limbo (testing, bug reports, coding).

                    F
                    even if my code skills were beyond basic understanding of pointers coding at a level (skill wise) this high would be out of the question.

                    wish it was different but....

                    apart from that there are people who just want to use their computer and work so testing debugging etc are out of the question

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      apart from that there are people who just want to use their computer and work so testing debugging etc are out of the question
                      I hear where you are coming from, and if that is the case, do not let us dissuade you.

                      If budgeting is a concern, I would still recommend that you hold on until the next product revolution in 2012. Intel has a new platform that is going to be set for release in a couple months, and VAR/HARs should have their release cycle shortly thereafter. (Oversimplifying) Buy now and you have a PC that is dated in 2.5 years. Buy in two-three months and you will have a PC that is dated in 3.5 years.

                      I'm not sure what AMD is doing with their platform release cycles. Last time I checked (there was a leaked spreadsheet), AMD didn't really appear to know either. Articles like http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/2/276...2012-2013-28nm provide some insight, but doesn't really do a good job of setting expectations or disclosing features.

                      F

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You don't need leaks :

                        http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/a...admap-revealed

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Thanks, but the slides in the Anandtech article are the same Feb 2nd slides that are present in the article I linked. I'm looking for are some high level details (USB3?, how many?, how many PCI Express slots/lanes?, Sata 3? How many? , etc).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Ahh... for that you probably need to wait until we actually launch the product. I thought you were looking more for "what comes out when", sorry.

                            Leaks might give you info about those details, but no guarantee that what they say will actually happen.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X