Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R600 Tiling Patches Are Ready

Phoronix: Radeon R600 Tiling Patches Are Ready

Jerome Glisse, the Red Hat developer commonly working on the open-source Radeon graphics driver, has announced that he believes the R600 Gallium3D tiling support is complete...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome!

I can't wait to see benchmarks about this interesting feature Thank you Jerome Glisse!

Comment

This is just fantastic! All Linux Radeon users thank you, Jerome
      Have a nice break, and please do HiZ if it is your domain. Thanks.

Comment

> The ColorTiling2D option though still needs to be enabled within the xorg.conf for proper support.

How to enable it? Which option must be added to xorg.conf?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Have a nice break, and please do HiZ if it is your domain. Thanks.
          That would be great! For those who don't know what HiZ stands for, it means Hierarchical Z-Buffer. There is some code to support this feature, but it's stuck since August as you can see here and according to freedesktop's bug report it doesn't work.

Comment

Hi-Z seems stalled unfortunately
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

3.4 is a long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by ormaaj View Post
                3.4 is a long wait.
                This is a large patch, and 3.3 merge windows is closed. I wish it could be faster

Comment

Is there a recommended kernel branch that contains radeon work but maybe not potentially new unstable kernel features, radeon-drm-testing perhaps? Or should we just use master?

Latest git of mesa, xf86-video-ati and libdrm isn't much of a problem, but the kernel...

Also, why a xorg.conf setting? Would that be different from R600_TILING=1?

Comment

The patches are easy to apply, and they work so well that I can use them with Star Trek Online running under wine with an evergreen card. It improves performance a great deal and actually reduces stalling significantly (one of the previous issues I was having is that it was "choppy", but not with 2d tiling).

Great work, Jerome! Truly one of the better things to hit r600g in a LONG time.

Comment

Working...
                    X